Whitby Online

Whitby Online - Whitby Forums:
View topic - best fish and chips

Play Stay Eat Go
Whitby

best fish and chips

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

best fish and chips

Postby whitbypaul » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:54 am

i have been visiting whitby for over 20 years.

i used to use the magpie , but moved onto to trenchers.
it is rather expensive to eat fish and chips in a restaurant ,last time i had the large haddock at trenchers , it cost £13.50.
the fish was excellent , i think it was from crooks fishmongers.

the main point is this.

i have never never had decent fish and chips at any british coastal resort they are total dross.

i tried the takeaway at the magpie a few months a go , i think they cost £4.50 and ened up throwing most of it in the bin, absolute rubbish.

the best fish and chips are to be found in parts of west yorkshire where they still cook them in beef dripping.
the fish should be a dark golden colour with no uncooked batter when openned , the chips should be well browned not the pale enemic types found at most places.

the other thing i cannot understand are the prices you have to pay at the coast , how come i can buy them for £2.50 -£3.00 in west yorks.

anyway can someone point me in the right direction for the best takeaway fish and chips or do i have to go to scarborough for a donner kebab
whitbypaul

Postby admin » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:59 pm

I think the problem is that different people like theirs cooked in different ways... often preferring what they've been bought up with.

Personally I prefer my fish to be WHITE! (Brown!?!?!?! :shock: )

Also, I like my batter to be _just_ cooked... this means the fish also is _just_ cooked, which is how it's meant to be.... and it means it's not been sat in the glass heater thingy for hours - while it goes BROWN!!

The chips... agreed, if they're white, they're not cooked.

Another problem is that the fish n chips you get from any one establishment will vary incredibly (as some will have been in the hot cupboard a while, some not) unless they're always cooked to order... but when they're cooked to order (Like in Magpie and Trenchers), they're gonna cost more due to the labour intensive cooking. Also Magpie and Trenchers (and many others in Whitby) will be more expensive because they're using fresh rather than frozen fish, and top quality fish too. All adding to the price.

PS. Take a quick walk to Royal Fisheries on Baxtergate ;) .... actually no, forget that, their fish isn't brown, you won't like it.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Love-Lies-Bleeding » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:30 am

My absolute favourite fish-and-chips is from Mr Chips on the East Side. Don't let the scary clown on the frontage put you off - proper piping hot fresh fish with alternatives to the too-scarce cod which I won't eat, and wonderful flavoursome chips. The chips are also suitable for vegans, and it's very hard to find such an establishment. The scampi is gorgeous, and I don't even like scampi. ;)

It has loads of locals pouring in and out...it's a good sign. :)

Dross? Fresh-caught fish cooked mere yards away from where it was brought in? I beg to differ!
~*Angelica Carnis*~
Love-Lies-Bleeding

Postby whitbypaul » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:44 am

when i described the fish as brown i meant the batter.
i am sorry if this confused you.

the colour of the fried fish depends on the batter mix.
i like it white inside but not covered in uncooked batter when opeened so to speak.

many fish and chips shops are using veg oil, for several reasons.
one is part of our pc multicultural society.
some better establishments use beer ,check out last sundays times magazine.

anyway if you havent had fish and chips cooked in beef dripping you havent lived, and if you have you probably need to drink lots of red wine.
whitbypaul

Postby McRod » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:25 am

tbh i have yet to have a bad Fish and Chips in Whitby and i`ve been in most.

Theres literally nothing between Trenchers and The Magpie in terms if taste when sitting in but if we ever carried out, we`d always use Fusco`s (The Quayside).
McRod

Postby Love-Lies-Bleeding » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:32 pm

:lol: WhitbyPaul, I don't see it as pc at all - it's consumerism at work! If the market's there, it'll be catered for. It also means my mum and dad can eat chips from a chip shop so I'm all in favour!

Veg oil is lighter and therefore lets the taste of the fish come through properly, IMO.

Fish is fried in beer in better establishments? :shock: I assume you mean the batter is made with beer, which I do and it's lovely. Soda water works well too.

I'm in agreement with McRod - I've had average chips in Whitby, but never bad.
~*Angelica Carnis*~
Love-Lies-Bleeding

Postby sports_mad2004 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:38 pm

Fish and chips are not the same for me without sand involved somewhere! Strange but evocative for me
sports_mad2004

Robertson's of Whitby - best fish and chips

Postby Susan Mackay » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:01 pm

I reckon the best fish and chips in Whitby are at Robertson's near the Swing Bridge.

According to their website: http://www.robertsons-of-whitby.co.uk

"They were the first to use vegetable oil in Whitby for their Fish and Chips.
Which was a big step in such a traditional town, but Robertson's now have an appreciative following, and have won-over many a 'traditional' fish and chips' customer.
This 'healthy option' has since been taken up by some other restaurants and fish and chip shops in Whitby"
Susan Mackay

Postby Whitby John » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:16 am

Robertson's is fine, though the wee Scot in my life says she finds it a touch on the greasy side - must be how I like my chips! But the Royal in Baxtergate and Mr Chips are also good.

But I thought I detected a whiff of the vested interest in Susan's posting - so take it with a pinch of salt....
Whitby John

Postby Susan Mackay » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:04 am

Whitby John wrote: Robertson's is fine, . . . But I thought I detected a whiff of the vested interest in Susan's posting - so take it with a pinch of salt....

Salt on Robertson's Fish & Chips I hope! :)

No particular vested interest John . . .
- other than I'd also been reading Robertson's website at: http://www.robertsons-of-whitby.co.uk - about their Fish Restaurant on Bridge Street.
By the way, I live much further north from Whitby - up in Northumberland and wished I got to Whtiby more often.
Susan Mackay

Postby captain_whitby » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:08 pm

well its either mr chips or baxtergate chippy that only use beef dripping now....
captain_whitby

Postby Whitby John » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:48 am

Forgive me my evil insinuation, Susan!
Whitby John

Postby MarionHaste » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:36 pm

I have to confess I thought that too. We must just be too cynical for our own good, John.
MarionHaste

fish n chips

Postby heathen » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi thought i would add my twopennorthe to the on going fish n chip debate. As a long time visitor to Whitby I've rarely eaten badly and have enjoyed The Magpie, Tenchers and a long time ago (at least 14 years) a memorable meal at the late lamented/lambasted "Andersons". My most recent visit was Easter Monday. Having two children in tow my priority is speed and convienience rather tha sophisitication, hence our visit to Mr Chips for a takeaway, Downside, 30 minute wait to actualy get in the door and a 15 minute wait for my order to appear (Haddock natch I'm a west yorkshire Boy). Upside top quality Fish fried to perfection, batter crisp, fish as white as virgin snow with no greasy "undercoat". All in all a quality offering.
Overall a brilliant day in the finest resort I have ever visited. My first visit was around 1966 on a school Youth Hostel trip which was memorable in many ways. Good to post on a sight I've read many many times.
Bye for now
If it's monday and a bank Holiday how come I'm not in Whitby?
Because this year we came on the Sunday beforehand!
heathen

Return to Whitby Food