New Year

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

lena

New Year

Post by lena » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:00 pm

My husband, 18 year old son and I have booked to spend new year in Whitby, could anyone tell me which eateries are open New Years Eve and New Years Day, Because it would be terrible if we starved. :?: :wink:

redliner15

vinyard

Post by redliner15 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:49 am

the vinyard on silver street is open new years day.

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:04 pm

Crack on Redliner - the day you don't recommend the Vinyard will be a first for Whitby! I'll back you, though, we've been a few times and both food and service were good.

Red, can you maybe communicate with the owner, and tell him that his website might be better? The specimen menu takes ages to download and is very sticky.

redliner15

Post by redliner15 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:53 am

yeah i will have word with him, i think he did it himself, but hes a pretty cool guy im sure he wont mind me telling him his websites crap...lol

lena

Post by lena » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:42 pm

thanks guys, I've booked a table at the vineyard for new years lunch now just need somewhere for new years eve evening, new years day evening, and some evening entertainment would be great. Any ideas?

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:29 pm

I can recommend the White Horse and Griffin (Church St) and Bagdale Hall (near railway station). I think both are open over NY but phone ahead anyway as you'll need to book. Both are a bit pricier than Vinyard but reliable on quality and service.

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:30 am

If you managed to find food/entertainment for NY then share it with us for future reference...

Thanks

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Yes, tell us all! All I heard of was some DJ at the Shambles, and the usual small events like a dance at the rugby club, but nothing to tempt me to stay in town. I went to Edinburhg and left my son and his wife to it.

NY is always quiet, but this year was really peaceful. Whitby went back to being a town of 10,000 people. To be honest, I rather enjoyed it, but the usual mayhem will be restored shortly!

lena

Food and Drink in Whitby for NY

Post by lena » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:01 pm

We had a great time in Whitby over the NY. We stayed at the Ruswarp Hotel which did a fantastic Breakfast. New years Eve we ate at the Indian by the station which was very busy, then we went to a few different pubs and saw the NY in in the Ship where a guy called Paul was singing and playing his guitar and keyboard we all enjoyed that. There were also fireworks over the Abbey.
NY day we went to the Vinyard as suggested and the food was great. There was a lot of snow and it was cold so for NY tea we went to the Nisa shop and bought sandwiches which we ate in our rooms.