Real Ale

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

DSA

Real Ale

Post by DSA » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:56 am

As a long term fan of the Heyburn Wyke, the walkers' pub for motorists as well - the long drive was tarmacked by the brewery - I was shocked to discover on a recent visit that Old Peculiar was no longer on offer. The story was something to do with a bad batch and it might be back in winter. I intend to telephone next time before we call for my favourite Theakstones and pork scratchings, to make sure the row with the brewery has been sorted.

In the meantime try the Laurel in Robin Hoods Bay where the choice of beers is the almost impossible Old Peculiar or Timothy Taylors. And this is a pub which does not bother to serve food at all. There is a helpful notice listing the suppliers of sandwiches you are allowed to eat on the premises.

ianwigley

Re: Real Ale

Post by ianwigley » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:21 pm

The Laurel has always been a great place to drink. Small, but perfectly formed. All of the pubs in Robin Hood's Bay are welcoming, including those at the top of the hill.

If you want Old Peculiar in Whitby, The Board Inn is your place.

Check out the IW/DG Pub express in Chat Zone...that has some suggestions.

Ian
Last edited by ianwigley on Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:18 pm

The Laurel is my local - about three minutes walk from the front door :D

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:59 pm

David Perry wrote:The Laurel is my local - about three minutes walk from the front door :D

You can't beat The Dolphin on a Friday night, a great folk evening. Saturday afternoons are also good in there...television on the bar side waiting for the footy results to come in.

The Victoria is worth a shout, very underrated.