Big birthday dinner suggestion

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Helen of London

Big birthday dinner suggestion

Post by Helen of London » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:56 am

Hi everyone, I'll be in Whitby for my 50th birthday early September - just trying to decide where to go for dinner...did fancy Greens - although would probably end up a bit too pricey, maybe the Bistro part, but am also wondering about the Vinyard...there will be 6 of us...any other ideas? all suggestions welcome - can't wait to be in Whitby again :D

stukno

Post by stukno » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:38 pm

I would look closely at Ditto, Skinner St. Moon & Sixpence, Pier Rd, although check that you have the table for the evening and that they won't be asking you to leave by a certain time. The Magpie will take a small number of reservations if you book ahead, thus avoiding queues.

Have a nice evening
stu k

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 pm

I took five family members to the Vinyard, and it cost just under £35 a head - everyone had at least two courses and we had two bottles of wine. The service was good and the food was excellent. The wine list was fine, so I would recommend that.

If I wanted to pick fault, they do put a hefty mark-up on coke (£2.50) and they could do with a wider choice of beers.

redliner15

pint

Post by redliner15 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:31 pm

the coke price is for a pint and they have just installed 2 more beers my friend told me

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:44 am

OK, I'll check out those beers. In the interests of research, of course!

:D

redliner15

re reseaerch

Post by redliner15 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:29 am

nothing wrong with a bit of reseaerch.....

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:25 pm

No "real ales" as such when we went for a meal there on 6th August, but they did have Worthington cool cask, which was pretty good. Afficianados of real ale should probably eat there and then head for the Shambles, Station, Black Horse or Endeavour!

BTW. the Moules Mariniere starter was absolutely fantastic :) - my main course of lobster tempura was ok, but nothing special.

Cheers,

Dave

Wisparolo

Post by Wisparolo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:31 pm

My choice for a special occasion for dinner but good value for nonet would be Harry's bar just along from the magpie. Modern decor, a select little restaurant on the first floor & friendly staff. Been opened a year now & originally the concept was starter size portions but now they do "full meal" specials.

We have been a few times & it has been excellent every time

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Wonder where Helen went? :?:

stinknugget

Post by stinknugget » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:33 pm

Frankly, I was wondering where you had gone!
And whether you were alright?
Samuel Johnson

"He that wishes to see his country robbed of its rights can not be a patriot".

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Oh I'm still here. Just forgot to look in really.

How's yourself?

stinknugget

Post by stinknugget » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 am

I'm fine, Sandy. Laughing in the face of adversity. But really, I hate dark mornings and evenings!
How are you?
Samuel Johnson

"He that wishes to see his country robbed of its rights can not be a patriot".

Helen of London

where I went!

Post by Helen of London » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Hi everyone and thanks for your suggestions, I went to the Vinyard! we all went for a Sunday lunch on our second day of our holiday to try it out - it was seriously ,y best Sunday lunch out ever! SL usually a massive disappointment and I end up grumbling about how I could have made something much better and of course cheaper. So, on the strength of that, we went there on my birthday - friends came over from York as well - we had a really delicious meal, some choosing steak, best ever my son declared, and I had lamb shank, very nice too, all the veg lovely as well. I heard from somewhere that the Vinyard is closed now...is that true? we're coming for our annual fortnight late aug, and would like to go there again!

Wisparolo

Vinyard

Post by Wisparolo » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:22 pm

The Vinyard closed very suddenly about 2 months ago but has just reopened under new ownership so cannot comment on the food. However for Sunday Lunch or indeed any lunch or evening meal our favourite place in Whitby is Number 4 on the Parade at West Cliff . Would rtecommend to anyone & as a resident we try to go once a month.

Helen of London

Number 4

Post by Helen of London » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:47 am

I am definitely going to try Number 4 this visit after all your comments, but would be interested to know how the new Vinyard goes, too! - Oh I just can't waiti to be back - only 2 and a bit weeks to go, and then a whole fortnight in Whitby :D