A few notes

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

DaveGraham

A few notes

Post by DaveGraham » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi Folks,

Following on from the photos I put on in the Chat Zone, I thought I'd also make a few comments re our food experiences during our fortnight in Whitby (last week July/first week August).

We rent a cottage, so some evenings we prepared our own food - our favourite being crab salad (mmmm!!).

We had a few evenings out too though. We tried "Arnies" in the Market Place one evening - small place, friendly staff. We had steak & chips. Alcoholic drinks consist of a fair range of decent beers. We enjoyed the experience and even visited again the following week where we chose halibut with fish risotto...I'd have been quite happy with a plateful of fish risotto alone - it was delicious. One word of warning re Arnies - at the moment they do not accept credit or debit cards - just cash. I'd rate the food as good value for money though.

We also had an early evening meal at the Shambles. We'd only popped up there for a drink, but decided to stay and eat. I chose the fish cake selection and it was very reasonably priced and quite satisfying.

The company we rent the cottage from always gives us a £10 voucher for Trenchers, so we made use of it. I find Trenchers to be ok, but nothing special - I've had better fish & chips in the Golden Grid or Tunny Club in Scarborough.

We didn't eat at the Magpie. I know everyone says you *must* eat there, but we really couldn't be bothered with the queues. We did however see a short queue at the Magpie takeaway once as we walked past, so we decided to get some and take it back to the cottage. Well, the fish was dry and the chips were pasty white. Very disappointing - we'll stick to Mr Chips I think!

We also visited the Khyber Pass restaurant. Again, nothing special, but very decent food and an excellent view - which is a definite plus.

Lunch times we were usually out on walks or visits elsewhere, but we did eat once at the Beach Cafe, Sandsend - very pleasant and much cheaper than the Wits End Cafe which seemed to cost an arm and a leg for a scone and a coffee. One enjoyable lunch we had out in Whitby was a Becketts in Skinner Street. I had the smoked bacon and mozarella toastie - very nice and well priced. Apparently, the bacon they use is smoked in Fortunes Kipper house.

Drink-wise, both me and the wife are into real ale, so we usually headed off to the Black Horse, Station or Endeavour. We took part in the quiz night at the Station (we won it when we were there last year!) and enjoyed the impromtu folk singing in the Endeavour on Sunday nights - not that we took part in that!!

Basically, the only negatives we found were the Magpie takeaway and the prices at the Wits End Cafe, Sandsend. .. but that's just our personal feelings/experiences.

Anyway, enough from me - hope it is of use. Another wonderful fortnight in Whitby is over.

Cheers,

Dave

ianwigley

Re: A few notes

Post by ianwigley » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:17 pm

DaveGraham wrote:Hi Folks,

Following on from the photos I put on in the Chat Zone, I thought I'd also make a few comments re our food experiences during our fortnight in Whitby (last week July/first week August).

We rent a cottage, so some evenings we prepared our own food - our favourite being crab salad (mmmm!!).

We had a few evenings out too though. We tried "Arnies" in the Market Place one evening - small place, friendly staff. We had steak & chips. Alcoholic drinks consist of a fair range of decent beers. We enjoyed the experience and even visited again the following week where we chose halibut with fish risotto...I'd have been quite happy with a plateful of fish risotto alone - it was delicious. One word of warning re Arnies - at the moment they do not accept credit or debit cards - just cash. I'd rate the food as good value for money though.

We also had an early evening meal at the Shambles. We'd only popped up there for a drink, but decided to stay and eat. I chose the fish cake selection and it was very reasonably priced and quite satisfying.

The company we rent the cottage from always gives us a £10 voucher for Trenchers, so we made use of it. I find Trenchers to be ok, but nothing special - I've had better fish & chips in the Golden Grid or Tunny Club in Scarborough.

We didn't eat at the Magpie. I know everyone says you *must* eat there, but we really couldn't be bothered with the queues. We did however see a short queue at the Magpie takeaway once as we walked past, so we decided to get some and take it back to the cottage. Well, the fish was dry and the chips were pasty white. Very disappointing - we'll stick to Mr Chips I think!

We also visited the Khyber Pass restaurant. Again, nothing special, but very decent food and an excellent view - which is a definite plus.

Lunch times we were usually out on walks or visits elsewhere, but we did eat once at the Beach Cafe, Sandsend - very pleasant and much cheaper than the Wits End Cafe which seemed to cost an arm and a leg for a scone and a coffee. One enjoyable lunch we had out in Whitby was a Becketts in Skinner Street. I had the smoked bacon and mozarella toastie - very nice and well priced. Apparently, the bacon they use is smoked in Fortunes Kipper house.

Drink-wise, both me and the wife are into real ale, so we usually headed off to the Black Horse, Station or Endeavour. We took part in the quiz night at the Station (we won it when we were there last year!) and enjoyed the impromtu folk singing in the Endeavour on Sunday nights - not that we took part in that!!

Basically, the only negatives we found were the Magpie takeaway and the prices at the Wits End Cafe, Sandsend. .. but that's just our personal feelings/experiences.

Anyway, enough from me - hope it is of use. Another wonderful fortnight in Whitby is over.

Cheers,

Dave
Hello Dave,

I'm trying to bump a few threads since these days it's only a few people contributing to the site..things have to change.

I'll start with what I know -

The Magpie - I know people shy away from the place due to the queues, this is understandable, having said that we ate there a couple of years ago and had to queue for only 10 minutes. The food was a touch expensive, but it was spot on. I would imagine The Magpie would be cheaper than Green's, though I take nothing away from Green's in terms of quality.

The Station - Did you prefer it when it was the Tap 'n Spile? I always drink in there when I'm there. I'm not sure if it did change hands as well as names. I've always had good beer there, and the turns they have on there are often worth a look.

Trenchers - I've never been there, but the missus and her Mum always prefer that to The Magpie. The next time I'm there I'm going to have a crack at that place. Apparently some people often say they prefer this to The Magpie (that is outside of the missus and her Mum).

Pubs you mentioned - The Black Horse is a proper boozer, proper old-school pub, it's always a pleasure drinking there. The Endeavour is okay, I rate the Middle Earth Tavern for friendly people (locals usually) and The Board Inn is a favourite of mine. The Duke of York would be better if they banned children.

I went on the Estbek House site, it's so expensive though it looks good. The restaurant menu is very expensive. Maybe if I have a few spare quid I'll give it a try next time out.

More threads to be resurrected later tonight.

Ian