Dogs in Whitby Pubs/Restaurants

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

scotslass

Dogs in Whitby Pubs/Restaurants

Post by scotslass » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:49 pm

We are Whitby regulars, coming down in six weeks time for our 24th week in October, so we are totally convinced as to how fabulous Whitby is.

Our problem is we have always brought a dog, a well-behaved and well trained dog who habitually frequents eating establishments all over the UK.

We stay in a dog friendly cottage and adhere to the rules, ie don't leave the dog in the cottage alone, why would we want to?

But over the years it is getting more difficult to get a decent dinner of an evening in Whitby where the well behaved dog can lie quietly under the table, my question is why is this?
We always visit in October so mostly sitting outside is not really possible, we pass establishment after establishment, empty or one or two tables occupied and here we are, money in hand, well behaved etc etc and we're not welcome because we've got the dog.
In these austere times, this sounds mad to me, a customer, especially a paying customer should be welcomed with open arms. But more and more in Whitby, this is not the case.
Now there are some notable and excellent exceptions, we always drink in the Black Horse (that's a regular visit, at least once a day), we always have our Saturday dinner in the excellent Robertsons, great food and they firmly accommodate the dog. We have a meal in Humble Pie (great food, tiny space, everyone jumps over the dog and says hello). We regularly have lunch in Becketts, fabulous but not open at night, we eat in the lovely ice cream shop, but again not open at night.
So restauranteurs of Whitby, what is the problem? and please don't tell me it's health and safety cos I know it's not, I have absolutely no wish to inspect your kitchen with the dog and he doesn't want to sit on a table or lick out the dishes.

Can I also say we travel in the UK extensively and the dog always comes too, and Whitby is fast becoming the worst place to get a meal with the dog in tow...........................not something to be proud of and not something that promotes tourism to your lovely town. :?

David Perry

Re: Dogs in Whitby Pubs/Restaurants

Post by David Perry » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:08 pm

Unfortunately it's the few owners who allow their dog/s to misbehave which causes the bans.
There's another spot you could try on Skinner st. It's not a restaurant but it does serve nice food during the day.
(I'm a dog owner too!)

scotslass

Post by scotslass » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm

all suggestions accepted, i know of Dittos and Red Chard up that way, then there is the Granby which I believe allows dogs, where else is there?

I think there are very few badly behaved dogs, if you can't trust you dog to behave, most responsible dog owners wouldnt take him in.

I have seen children behave very badly in restaurants recently but no one bans them.

Interestingly in the summer we were in Northumberland and in the Ship at Low Newton by the sea, between the very small pub lounge and the outdoor terrace there must have been a continually changing population of around 30 dogs and owners having lunch, no trouble, the dogs even queued patiently for a go at the water bowl the owners thoughtfully provided. Think of all that business!!!

JLG006

Post by JLG006 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:05 pm

I am very interested in this also as we are planning to come for a few days between Christmas and New Year (with dog). We are now looking at self catering so that we won't be stuck for places to eat but that's really missing the point of being away.

beker

Post by beker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:04 am

I am half Polish, half English and I am always so impressed about UK. Why? Because it is common thing to let dogs in restaurants, pubs, parks. In Poland it is still banned.
To want to, is to be able to.