Humble Pie 'n' Mash

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

ianwigley

Humble Pie 'n' Mash

Post by ianwigley » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 am

I haven't been to this place but it has been recommended to me before (Dave Graham told me how good this place was). There's a link below to some reviews (Tripadvisor).

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... gland.html

admin
Site Admin

Re: Humble Pie 'n' Mash

Post by admin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 am

Yes, I can confirm, Humble Pie 'N' Mash is brilliant :D

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:05 am

admin wrote:Yes, I can confirm, Humble Pie 'N' Mash is brilliant :D
Guess where I'm going next weekend?!!?! Humble Pie 'n' Mash.

See also Whitby Town FC pie and peas. You have to get them early. Me and the missus went last season, about twenty minutes into the game I went to get us both pie and peas...there was only one left. Guess who got it..........
......it wasn't me.

The club (social club) outside of the Turnbull Ground is worth a shout for a cheap pint and some very friendly clientele.

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:40 pm

Guess where we are eating tomorrow? yep, Humble Pie & Mash shop. We got here Saturday and are here til next Saturday. Ian - Mordue Brewery "Workie Ticket" in the Dolphin - brilliant. This pub is now well worth a visit since it changed hands. Just off there for a pint now!!!!!

Cheers,

Dave

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Just back from the Dolphin and we were treated to an impromptu folk concert in the back room. That and real ale...bliss!

Cheers,

Dave

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:35 am

I remember the Dolphin before it became trashy (though you say now it's changed hands and got better). It was, for me, a decent boozer before they modernised it. It wasn't my first choice, though it was always on the pub run. I'm heading to Whitby for the last Town football game - yes, I'm a glutton for punishment - so I'll check out The Dolphin....and also the Humble Pie 'n' Mash. I was going to head to Whitby this weekend, but instead I'm saving the cash because Cass and me are heading to Stratford for two nights, a birthday present my parents bought me in January. Stratford is a place you should have a look at.

The beer you mentioned you had in The Dolphin I've never heard of, but considering I don't have to be in school (I'm a teacher) today until 12pm I'll be researching it on the web. I'll try and post my findings in the IW/DG beer thread.

The folk evening The Dolphin gave you - you could do worse than head to Robin Hood's Bay on Friday night for the folk night at The Dolphin (two Dolphins!!!!). I used to be seeing a girl whose parents had a cottage ten steps away from The Dolphin...many a night was spent in that pub, the folk night was never missed if we were there on a Friday night.
Last edited by ianwigley on Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 am

Hello Dave

Here you go.....

http://www.morduebrewery.com/beers/beer.php?beers_id=1

Cheers!!!!!!!

Ian

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks Ian,

We had Workie Ticket while we were in Northumberland last year - just caught sight of the pumps through the window in the Dolphin on Sunday and that did it....straight in there! Bit of bad news though - it was £3.30 a pint on Sunday and it went up a whole 10p on Monday. This beer lark isn't half getting expensive!

Anyway, off to my £4.99 humble pie n mash shortly. We just had a day out on Goathland and walked back to Grosmont.....warning - the pub at Beck Hole is closed on Tuesdays :(

Cheers,

Dave

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:50 pm

DaveGraham wrote:
Anyway, off to my £4.99 humble pie n mash shortly.

Cheers,

Dave
.....and very nice it was too!!

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:37 pm

DaveGraham wrote:Thanks Ian,

We had Workie Ticket while we were in Northumberland last year - just caught sight of the pumps through the window in the Dolphin on Sunday and that did it....straight in there! Bit of bad news though - it was £3.30 a pint on Sunday and it went up a whole 10p on Monday. This beer lark isn't half getting expensive!

Anyway, off to my £4.99 humble pie n mash shortly. We just had a day out on Goathland and walked back to Grosmont.....warning - the pub at Beck Hole is closed on Tuesdays :(

Cheers,

Dave
Hello Dave

£3.30 a pint is awful, especially only for bitter.

The warning about the Beck Hole was very much appreciated, we won't be heading there on a Tuesday!!!!

Thanks for getting back to me,

Ian

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 pm

Ian,

Update for you on the Dolphin. I just drank the last pint of Workie Ticket on there tonight!! Timothy Taylor Landlord replaces it. I can really recommend this place now, nice owner, staff and good, welcoming atmosphere. They are also closing in April to do it up over six weeks, ready for the summer season.

Cheers,

Dave

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:16 am

DaveGraham wrote:Ian,

Update for you on the Dolphin. I just drank the last pint of Workie Ticket on there tonight!! Timothy Taylor Landlord replaces it. I can really recommend this place now, nice owner, staff and good, welcoming atmosphere. They are also closing in April to do it up over six weeks, ready for the summer season.

Cheers,

Dave
Hello Dave

Can I offer my great congratulations for you drinking the last pint of Workie Ticket at the Dolphin. I have this morning sent letters to Mr Cameron and HRH the Queen recommending you for a Knighthood, Sir.

I'm due to go to Whitby for the last Town match but that'll coincide with the closure of the Dolphin, so I'll have to head there twice now, once for the game, and then again to sample the Dolphin when it reopens. It's no hardship visiting Whitby, so never mind. I notice with interest you say the Dolphin put Tim Taylor Landlord on...that's a mainstream - but very excellent - beer. I have sampled it very much in my past years of drinking. Another mainstream-but-great-beer is Deuchars, a fine ale - this one usually has a residency at the Duke of York.

Keep me up to scratch with your drinking in Whitby before you head back home on Saturday.

Regards,

Ian

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:21 pm

Really nice place HP&M. Also, my great-grandmother and grandmother lived there until 1952 :)
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com