Vinyard

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Whitby John

Vinyard

Post by Whitby John » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:17 am

We went last night, and really enjoyed it. I've always been a fan of the previous chef, and was sad to see the place close. The current owner has a new chef, who apparently worked previously at the Stables/Cross Butts and Trenchers. The menu is quite limited, which is usually a sign that everything is being cooked from fresh.

We started with scallops, served with minted mushy peas and crisped ham; I went for monkfish on pak choi as my main, my other half went for lamb shank. The monkfish was firm but not overcooked, the lamb shank was moist, tender and full of flavour. One pudding for the wee Scottish partner, and we'd had pre-meal drinks and a decent bottle of wine. Bill just over £80.

If you wanted to be picky, then the service was pretty typical of Whitby - local schoolkids with minimal training, but pleasant people. So be prepared to ask for something rather than waiting for it to be offered, and even then you might need to ask a second time!

We'll certainly go back, probably when my sister's family come up for folk week. After the way in which the old Vinyard closed, it's good to be able to say that the food is at least as good as it was before.