MAGPIE CAFE

Talk about the fantastic food available in Whitby here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

DAVEPINCHES

MAGPIE CAFE

Post by DAVEPINCHES » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:19 pm

Went here for a meal and what a big disappointment. The cod was very rubbery and tasteless and the chips were nothing special. In fact the mushy peas were the best tasting thing I had. The Mrs had haddock and that was no better. With a couple of drinks it was a waste of £30. When Whetherspoons opens up it'll be packed out!!!

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:55 pm

A Wetherspoons is opening in Whitby :D ?!

Kizzie xxx

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:39 am

That's what t'Gazette said this week - at The Big A. http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... gel/Whitby

Should be interesting - someone told me this week they had paid £3.50 for a pint of bitter in a Whitby pub this week, which they said is higher than London prices.

Not the pubs' fault, but the fault of greedy pub chain owners - one landlord of a tiny pub in town quit when his rent went up to £800 a week. That's a lot of money to make back before you even begin to think about rates, wages and other bills.

If they try to put food on to help with profits, the pub chains merely jack the rent even higher to take a slice of the profit and that's apparently why a lot of Whitby pubs don't do food, even though it should be a licence to print money.

Quite what will happen to a lot of the already-struggling pubs if Wetherspoons comes here, goodness knows.

On a positive note, we heard that W will take the horrible modern extension from the front of the building and restore it to its former glory. Whatever you think of W, it has a good track record on restoring buildings.
Interesting times.

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:14 pm

Marion, if a Wetherspoon's does open, then it will be really busy, but it is hard to see it making much impact on most of the other places. For most of the year, people seem to have a bottomless appetite for beer, and the pubs are all pretty busy. That's my impression anyway.

I agree about the sheer greed of the chains. I had an excellent pint the other day in the Met for £2, compared with the £3.20 I pay for a Black Sheep in my local on the east side.