Railway Station refurbishment

Talk about the news. What's been in the local news? What do you think about it?

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:13 pm

jgharston wrote:When travelling from Sheffield ... then number 93 bus from Scarborough to Whitby.
I had to go from Whitby to Sheffield for one day last week. From memory I remembered that the 93 leaves Scarborough hourly at 40 minutes past, so with the train back to Scarborough arriving at 21:30 I stolled over to the bus stop to catch the 21:40 back to Whitby.

No such luck. The last bus back to Whitby is at 20:40! What on earth sort of bus service stops at half past eight??? What if you want to go to the theatre, how do you get back? Ridiculous.
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

Old Tiger

Post by Old Tiger » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:17 am

The timetable lists a 23:15 departure

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedfile ... 010409.pdf

which presumably is meant to cater for Whitby people having an evening out in Scarborough. Though a 2 1/2 hour gap is a bit of a large one.

Old Tiger

Post by Old Tiger » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Well, I can answer my own question now, having been in Whitby at the weekend; the new canopies/awnings at the station look great; a vast improvement and the whole station looks very smart with nice flower displays. Shame the travel information/ticket place shut; that was a real asset.

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:08 am

The travel information office is shut, but they have all the transport information at the tourist office across the street. There is still a railway office at the side of the station.

Mind you, the tourist office staff aren't all used to it yet. I went in to ask for the new timetable for the 94, with the aim of heading down the valley, and they gave me the wrong one. They'll get it sorted.

billh

Re: Railway Station refurbishment

Post by billh » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:55 am

Hello
I was in the army in the early fifties, and I remember being able to catch a train from Kings Cross to Whitby (My home town).
The train started out with about 7 or so carriages and it was was split at various places en route, but the last two went all the way through to Whitby.
This of course was only in the summer, the rest of the year it was, Kings X to York , then to Malton, and then the smoky no corridor train Malton to Whitby.
Great days.
Regards to all
BillH

jgharston

Re: Railway Station refurbishment

Post by jgharston » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 pm

About two weeks ago Network Rail finished putting the second track back in at the station, so through trains from the NYMR can come all the way through without conflicting with Esk Valley services. The first steam train came in to the newly rebuilt Platform 2 about a week ago: Whitby Gazette video
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com