Railway Station refurbishment

Talk about the news. What's been in the local news? What do you think about it?

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

White Point

Railway Station refurbishment

Post by White Point » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:41 pm

Sounds as though this has been dished by Network Rail. Boooo! Anyone know more? I remember when (back in the 80's) the station was staffed by BR people (where the print/postcard shop is now, on the car park side) and both that platform and the bay platform (now gone and covered by Co-Op) were in use. And the signal box, semaphore signals, double track as far as Sleights; Glaisdale and Castleton signal boxes open...god, how they have cut this line to the bare bones. Sad.

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:15 pm

I like thousands of others over the years travelled to & from the secondary schools in Whitby by train, and yes, the decline is very sad.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:28 am

I think it's ridiculous that the only way you can get to Whitby by train is via Middlesborough, especially as I live in Derby!! Why couldn't there be a line between Whitby and Scarborough?! x

White Point

Post by White Point » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:41 am

There used to be (as there used to be a more direct route from Middlesbrough via Guisborough and Loftus) but it closed in the Beeching cuts of the 1960s. The two lines I've mentioned were very expensive to maintain because of the large numbers of tunnels and viaducts and eathworks that needed maintaining. It's actually a small wonder that the line dowbn the Esk Valley survived at all, but its presence does highlight the oddity of "having to go North to get South" by rail to Whitby. There's a regular service bus from Scarboroufgh station and an express bus from York station if that helps at all.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:31 pm

I think by train, I would have to go from Derby to Darlington, then to Middlesborough, then to Whitby. I have previously took the train to York and the bus to Whitby, but last week I went via my fiance's house in Hull, so we got the train to Scarborough and bus to Whitby and vice versa. But thanks for providing the info :) !! x

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:42 pm

In the past, I've travelled to & from Ediburgh by train. It takes longer to do the Whitby-Darlington section than the Darlington_ Edinburgh one.

Odessy

Post by Odessy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:53 pm

I have always worked away from Whitby during the week and would get the train to Scarborough then the bus to Whitby. Sadly the buses don't run anymore after 1800 so I go by car. When I went back to work on a Sunday evening I did the reverse but the bus drivers were so slow leaving Whitby (often 15 minutes late) that I often missed the train and had to wait an hour for the next one. So much for improving transport links to get us out of our cars. Arriva take note!

Love-Lies-Bleeding

Post by Love-Lies-Bleeding » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:45 pm

Odessy wrote:Sadly the buses don't run anymore after 1800 so I go by car.
:shock: How old are you exactly, Odessy?! :lol:

Though I agree with the sentiments!
~*Angelica Carnis*~

White Point

Post by White Point » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:23 am

Odessy wrote:I have always worked away from Whitby during the week and would get the train to Scarborough then the bus to Whitby. Sadly the buses don't run anymore after 1800 so I go by car.
Appear to be hourly buses from Scarboro, taking one hour until 23:10. :?

Helen of London

Post by Helen of London » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:12 am

I wish transport was better, too. We come up from London every year by public transport, and although it's easy to York, we have tried every other way, bus from York, train to Scarborough then bus, train round the long way to whitby...and having never driven before (age 48) I am learning to drive for the sole purpose of getting to and from Whitby more easily. Last year was a low point, as we came for 2 weeks incl folk week. We arrived with some musical instrument, minimal suitcases, no fishing rods (son said he didn't want to go fishing this time) and we left with 3 violins, 2 guitars and 2 fishing rods. Complete nightmare on the bus service and local train to Whitby, even on the way. The bus service from York has been voted by my family the easiest way, but is still a problem with luggage...do the bus drivers ever open the boot for storage? that would help...otherwise the transport system is just not geared up for holiday makers, or people with lots of shopping using the bus service, people struggling with buggies....ooh I could go on but won't. Anyway, it's always worth the journey and we're coming up twice this year, hooray!!!

:D

White Point

Post by White Point » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:31 pm

I read in the online Gazette recently that the station refurb was going ahead - sounds like Network Rail found some year-end money in the budget!

Can anyone please say whether work has started (or finished!) and what the outcome is?

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:49 pm

When I come down, I travel by train from Glasgow to Darlington, Darlington to Middlesborough, Middlesborough to Whitby. A long journey but worth it every time. Hate going back though! :)

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:42 pm

When travelling from Sheffield if I time it right there's a direct Northern Trains service to Scarbrough. Otherwise, I go via York. Then number 93 bus from Scarborough to Whitby.
If I'm being a skinflint, I get the Coastliner 840 from Whitby to Leeds then National Express on to Sheffield. I did once go by train Sheffield -> Doncaster -> Darlington -> Middlesborough -> Whitby. Tok longer than the bus!
If they can get that 6 miles of trackbed from Malton to Pickering relaid, it's trains all the way. Tho, I'll probably have learned to drive by then :) :)
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

Old Tiger

Post by Old Tiger » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:44 am

Does anyone have any news about the renovation of the station?

Also, what happened to the ticket office - did I read it was closing?

sandy

Post by sandy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:20 am

i travel to whitby quite often, from marske i get a £6 all day return ticket, these are valid on most buses in this area, ie darlington or the boro, you can go as far as scar/b
sandy