15 year old boy drowns

Talk about the news. What's been in the local news? What do you think about it?

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

McRod

15 year old boy drowns

Post by McRod » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:12 pm

(taken from The Whitby Gazette)

A teenage boy has died after being swept out to sea despite a massive rescue effort to save him (16th August)

Full story <a href="http://www.whitbytoday.co.uk/ViewArticl ... 5">here</a>

:cry:

How terribly tragic.

flyhawkeye

Post by flyhawkeye » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:42 pm

I had the unenviable position of witnessing the tragic event. But I would like to commend all those private citizens and the rescue services for their selfless actions. This shows a rare community spirit and as such Whitby should be proud of itself. My heartfelt sympaties go out to the family.

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:50 pm

My sympathies also go to the bereaved family.

The sea is a powerful force & needs to be treated with the greatest respect. This terrible incident has proved that beyond doubt.

Odessy

Post by Odessy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:20 pm

My sympathies also go to the family.
A mothers (and fathers worst nightmare).
My son wants to do all sorts of dangerous sports, the latest is this sea surfing with a sail. I dread to think what could happen if he gets lofted over land (taken up in the air by a gust of wind or a thermal), but you have to let them do these things.
I can only imagine that this poor chap got caught in a rip current (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_current) as usually one wave carries you out and the next wave dumps you back.
Whitby beach (like most other beaches) is not as safe as you think it is , especially with big waves.

Odessy

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:35 pm

Odessy. "Sea surfing with a sail" - do you mean kite surfing?

Odessy

Post by Odessy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:42 pm

Exactly!!

I saw someone doing it at Whitby not so long ago

It looked wicked!

Odessy

McRod

Post by McRod » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:58 pm

Odessy wrote:My sympathies also go to the family.
A mothers (and fathers worst nightmare).
My son wants to do all sorts of dangerous sports, the latest is this sea surfing with a sail. I dread to think what could happen if he gets lofted over land (taken up in the air by a gust of wind or a thermal), but you have to let them do these things.
I can only imagine that this poor chap got caught in a rip current (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rip_current) as usually one wave carries you out and the next wave dumps you back.
Whitby beach (like most other beaches) is not as safe as you think it is , especially with big waves.

Odessy
I reckon that something like kite-surfing or sailing etc has an innate safety aspect as normally the guys taking part in these dangerous sports have the proper safety equipment and are always looking out for each other. I used to be a member of a scuba diving club and never once felt vulnerable. We practiced every safety related eventuality.

Sadly for this lad, i expect the last thing he was concerned about was being caught in a wave and swept out to sea.

As long as your lad respects the sea and the safety aspects i`m sure he`ll be fine Odessy.

Rod

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:11 pm

On Sunday, I was kite-surfing near Sandsend. Not really enough wind though.

(sorry to hijack a serious thread, back on subject now...)

The coast between Whitby and Sandsend can be pretty deadly unless you're careful. If you're close to the pier in Whitby or the Ness in Sandsend, and the tide is moving, there's a strong rip either in or out to sea depending on the direction of the tide... it's impossible to swim against (I know).

Away from the pier and the ness, there's almost always a sideways current running parallel to the beach. It can be pretty strong at times, and can pull you off your feet.

Sometimes, depending on the beach and tide - there can be a steep drop from the water's edge, so you can very quickly be in deep water.

When you combine the currents with large waves (I've seen 14 foot swells hitting the beach at sandsend) and a steep shelf off the edge, you get some very dangerous conditions indeed. Waves build up and slam hard into the beach, right at the water's edge. The currents from the tide and the waves can drag you out of your depth in a moment.

It can be a dangerous place to play. And it's so sad when something like this happens. Deepest sympathy to the friends and family.

Odessy

Post by Odessy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:12 pm

It must have been you I saw at Sandsend. Well my son will be joining you when he gets the gear. (and I get a rescue craft).

The tragic thing about this accident is that if the youth had stayed afloat a bit longer he would have been rescued. It seems that he did not know how to float on his back (or front) as treading water can be very tiring.

I have noticed the current allong the harbour wall (ebbing tide)and I imagine it's the same at the cliffs at sandsend on the flood. The current around Whitby bay is a back eddy and flows the opposite way to the main tidal stream. The current across the harbour entrance is very strong especially at springs (every fortnight). I have swum in the longshore current and it is not overly strong but it can be a nuisance when you want to stay in one place.
By the way, you can tell if the tide is flooding or ebbing by the lean on the North Cardinal bouy (the one about a mile North of the harbour entrance).
If the tides coming in it leans to the East etc.

Odessy

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:33 pm

Small world... or maybe, "small whitby".

Some good info on tides and currents there. Thanks for that.

Pathfinder

Re: 15 year old boy drowns

Post by Pathfinder » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:17 am

McRod wrote:(taken from The Whitby Gazette)

A teenage boy has died after being swept out to sea despite a massive rescue effort to save him (16th August)

Full story <a href="http://www.whitbytoday.co.uk/ViewArticl ... 5">here</a>

:cry:

How terribly tragic.
The sensible thing to do is to stay away from a breaking sea, how many idiots do you see down the pier or at sandsend being idiots wave dodging!!!