Driving down the Donkey Path

Talk about the news. What's been in the local news? What do you think about it?

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

jgharston

Driving down the Donkey Path

Post by jgharston » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 pm

Yet again, a bemused tourist has followed his satnav down Church Lane (the Donkey Path) and had to be rescued by the emergency services. (Whitby Gazette, 31st August 2012) Again, it was somebody trying to get to Henrietta Street, and assumed the "Access Only" sign combined with the satnav instructions meant he could drive down there.

At the top of the Donkey Path there are six signs:
- no motor vehicles
- except for access
- unsuitable for motor vehicles
- 20mph speed limit
- no lorries over 3.5T between 11am and 6pm
- no lorries over 18T at any time

It could be reasonable to expect that if a 17T lorry is allowed down, then a car can get down, particularly as it says "except for access".

Maybe it is now time to downgrade the Donkey Path to a footpath and ban all motor vehicles from it. Then, the confusion of multiple signs could all be removed and replaced with a single "no entry" sign, possibly with an additional sign saying "For Henrietta Street, use Church Street"
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

Kizzie Kat

Re: Driving down the Donkey Path

Post by Kizzie Kat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:53 pm

A friend of mine had posted this on Facebook a few weeks back.

I think it's difficult for people to walk up and down (I stayed at Steps Cottage twice and struggled to get up just that short way), so I wouldn't like to try driving a car up or down there!!

I very much agree with the idea of a "No entry. For Henrietta Street, use Church Street" sign.

Kizzie xxx

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:30 pm

I would guess the reason they cannot completely ban vehicles is because this is strictly a Byeway Open to All Traffic, which in effect gives you a right to drive down there unless the highways department apply for a reduction to a bridleway - I suspect this is rather difficult to do in practice.

The only people who do this are visitors who are mentally challenged in the same way as those followers of satnavs who take the instructions to literally and fail to engage brain and drive through fords which are too deep and down increasingly narrow middy roads when it's obviously not suitable.
We've had visitors (from Halifiax) who stood in mud on the beach at Sandsend and wanted to know why there were not warning signs up. Obviously they don't have mud in Halifax.
We've also had visitors complain about large puddles on the pavement on New Quay road after heavy rain. Perhaps they came from the Atacama Desert?
We've had visitors drive onto the beach and complain when there car got stuck that there should have been warning notices about soft sand. Perhaps where they came from the sand is very hard.
We even had a visitor recently complain about a narrow miss of rock fall whilst they were prospecting for fossils immediately under a 150' cliff at Robin Hood's Bay. They said there should be warning notices. Really??? What the F@&$k to do you think is going to happen if you stand too near cliffs??

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:40 pm

Laughing so hard my belly hurts, David.
It's amazing just how stupid some people really are. And I know full well the sort you are talking about.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:54 pm

David Perry wrote:I would guess the reason they cannot completely ban vehicles is because this is strictly a Byeway Open to All Traffic, which in effect gives you a right to drive down there unless the highways department apply for a reduction to a bridleway - I suspect this is rather difficult to do in practice.
It would only take a simple Traffic Regulation Order prohibiting motor vehicles.
- Consult in the local area with a draft of proposed restrictions "Prohibit motor vehicles from traverseing along Church Lane from it's junction with Abbey Lane to its junction with Church Street/Henrietta Street"
- Take comments into account and make any amendments
- Advertise proposal for 21 days
- Consider objections raised
- Make the order

At the very least, the following sign could be added:
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:15 pm

"Yes I did see the sign officer, but my Satnav (God bless TomTom!!) said to go down here" :mrgreen:

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:04 pm

Loved that post David, it really made me laugh, hahahaha :lol:!!

Kizzie xxx