Swing bridge closed

Talk about the news. What's been in the local news? What do you think about it?

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Whitby John

Swing bridge closed

Post by Whitby John » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:27 pm

Keep an eye on the Gazette website for the latest on the swing bridge.

It's been stuck for a day now, and no sign of it re-opening. The most active workmen on site are the film crew recording this event for posterity. Another great achievement for SBC!

McRod

Post by McRod » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:26 pm

John,

When it breaks down, is it right to assume that the manualy position it open to allow boats in and out?

Miserable weather today. We took the kids up to the pool in the leisure centre which kept them amused for 90 mins.

Fingers crossed for a better day tomorrow.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:48 pm

That must be a right pain!!

Kizzie xxx

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Looks like it ain't going to be fixed soon :cry:

http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/LAT ... 6432087.jp

Still, we are packing, ready for tomorrow and looking forward to our holiday 8)

Cheers,

Dave

McRod

Post by McRod » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Spoke with a local businessman this evening and apparently the bearings have colapsed inside the gearbox.

The bridge will have to be lifted off the cog for the bearings to be replaced.

He mentioned approx 6 weeks downtime.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:06 pm

:? !!

Kizzie xxx

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:27 pm

Thanks for that McRod. I was beginning to get the impression that we might not see it fixed during our stay, so I am not too surprised.

So it's boats and shuttle buses for us in our Church St cottage. I never bring my car over as I really don't want the hassle of trying to park and we love going on walks anyway. It's about 3 hours coast-to-coast on the Trans-Pennine Express, then about another hour on the bus from Scarborough.

Might limit our choice of pubs in the evening though, but we've got Mr Chips on our side :wink:

Cheers,

Dave

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:44 pm

It's re-opened and functioning more or less fine. Well, fine for pedestrians and cars.

Not the borough council's finest moment though. I was particularly annoyed at the lack of information - very little attempt to let us know what was going on, and very slow to respond to the anger among traders. And for some reason, the council did manage to send extra staff over here, who booked parked cars, hassled the Dolphin for sticking tables in the road by the bridge, and generally got on people's nerves without helping.

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:38 pm

Yes typical council jobsworthys. Dolphin owner only trying to recoup a bit of his lost business but they had to do their "can't do that 'ere then" bit. All council officials should be drowned! If I sound pissed off its because I was there when the bridge was out of action. Clambering down stone steps onto a boat while lugging suitcases is not my idea of fun. The bridge was out for the first week of my holiday. It really cut the town in half. On the first Saturday night the east side was dead. Ive never seen it like that. Initially there was only one bus on. Totally inadequate. :x

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Peter, you must forgive me, but having a quiet East Side wasn't all bad news! I'm sorry for traders who lost out, though some of them are claiming ludicrous sums - no doubt when the Revenue call, they will say they were misquoted. Still, for a few days it was very pleasant to be able to sit down in my local on a weekend evening, and walk down Church Street without bumping into someone. Reminded me of Whitby thirty years ago....