Folk week and Regatta

Been to a great event or venue in the Whitby area and want to tell people about it? Going to one? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Whitby John

Folk week and Regatta

Post by Whitby John » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:43 am

We've just seen Folk Week kick off on Regatta weekend, and the two events will overlap again next year. Good idea or bad?

My own view is that this is crass. It doesn't help people in the hospitality industry - restaurants, hotels, pubs and attractions have had to turn people away, rather than enjoying the benefits of an extended busy period. Parking is even more miserable than usual. A lot of the folk venues have difficulty, as they are trying to cater for both groups. And I can't imagine folkies enjoy walking through the town centre in the evenings.

I can see there could be an argument in favour of overlapping. It's nice for the folkies who enjoy the red arrows, boat races and fireworks, and it's nice for the Regatta people who enjoy seeing dancers and performers in the street. And I guess you could argue that having more sane people around the town centre might - possibly - help stop the halfwits from yelling, pissing, fighting and generally being obnoxious idiots.

On balance, though, I don't think we need two big events in town at the same time. I'd be very interested to know whether anyone has a clue why the council thinks it is a good idea.

stinknugget

Post by stinknugget » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:02 am

I think the two events at once has only one benefit. Visitors (holiday makers) get to enjoy both.
But I agree. It does seem like so much in one time frame. If both events had a few weeks between them, the town could recover from the first before the second. And all resources could be pooled into ensuing a far more spectacular event on on both occasions.
With such common sense in thinking, it does make you wonder.
But this is what we're up against...
Samuel Johnson

"He that wishes to see his country robbed of its rights can not be a patriot".

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:48 pm

The regatta is dependant on the tides. Folk week is dependant on the calendar. Occasionally they'll clash. It's like complaining when Easter is in March.
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

stinknugget

Post by stinknugget » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Every day has tides... Doesn't it? Or has the moon relinquished it's task of pulling?

I'm not 'up' on either event. But surely they can get their heads together to make things work right? It must be a nightmare for inner town locals to maintain their regular traveling to and from work with all the crowds.
Samuel Johnson

"He that wishes to see his country robbed of its rights can not be a patriot".

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:27 am

This has created quite a stink, with the Regatta Committee saying they'll do no more work on next year's event (or should that be 'throw the dummy out the pram'?) until they receive an apology from the hospitality association, and some local hoteliers calling for a boycott of all businesses run by the Regatta stalwarts. And the usual dark rumours are circulating about SBC, who are supposedly trying to drive Folk Week down the coast to Scarborough. I'd sniff a conspiracy theory, except that SBC had a great success in driving Musicport down the coast - to Brid!

Maybe we should send for Kofi Annan? A cool head might be helpful. The clash is bad for business. Both the Regatta and Folk Week are good for the town, and are fun for the locals as well as bringing in a lot of trade. Both are run by volunteers, who give their time freely, and do a pretty good job. My only moan is about the Regatta's capacity for attracting halfwitted chavs who think screaming, puking and fighting are the best way to spend an evening - and that is hardly the fault of the organisers. This is something we should be able to sort out in Whitby.