Late-night shopping

Been to a great event or venue in the Whitby area and want to tell people about it? Going to one? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

MarionHaste

Late-night shopping

Post by MarionHaste » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:58 pm

Skinner Street and Friends - which includes Silver Street, Hunter Street, John Street and Flowergate - is planning a late-night Christmas shopping evening on Saturday, December 13.

The Skinner Street area is one of Whitby's best-kept secrets and has a unique blend of cafes, restaurants, pubs, bakers, a delicatessen, florist, wood-turner, beautician and shops selling antiques, art, alternative medicine, complementary therapy, books, cards, bikes, beauty therapy, china, collectibles, computers, guitars, ceramics, chandeliers, clothing, shoes, lingerie, toys, games, gifts, flowers, furniture, carpets, mirrors, luggage, musical instruments, Fairtrade goods, booze, household goods ... and much, much more.

Shops will be open until 8pm and there will be festive refreshments at some of the outlets. If you haven't been to the area in a while, then pop along and see what you've been missing!

redliner15

Post by redliner15 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:13 pm

Just to let people know we are open at the Vinyard on Silver Street if anyone wants to pop in for a coffee or a glass of wine after a busy night Christmas Shopping

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:31 pm

Here are some of the shops you'll find in the Skinner Street area - so don't turn round when you hit Brunswick Street!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/phot ... 8&view=all

Valbeasixties

photos

Post by Valbeasixties » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:05 pm

Fabulous photos!

I love Skinner Street, as you can always find such interesting and 'different' things. They are always appealing to me even though I have a good old browse most weekends.

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks Val - it's a work in progress. Skinner Street - and the others around it - are Whitby's best-kept secret. We used to forget about it when we first lived here, and it's such a grand street.

JohnWS

Post by JohnWS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:23 pm

We (Mr & Mrs WS) certainly only discovered Skinner Street a couple of years back. How does it get overlooked?

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:52 pm

Well, if people approach from the west cliff they head down via the whalebones and if they approach from Flowergate, they stop at Brunswick Street, glance up to the Resolution and say: "Nah. There's no more shops up there."

Which is a shame, because you only need to look at the original shopfronts to see it was once Whitby's swankiest shopping street.

JohnWS

Post by JohnWS » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:11 pm

MarionHaste wrote:Well, if people approach from the west cliff they head down via the whalebones and if they approach from Flowergate, they stop at Brunswick Street, glance up to the Resolution and say: "Nah. There's no more shops up there."
That makes a lot of sense, especially if I look at a map of the streets. Even from Bagdale I notice that Brunswick St & Baxtergate point away from Skinner street whilst still heading down toward Flowergate & Bridge St respectively.

I'm sure we only ran across it as we were staying very close by.
Last edited by JohnWS on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:32 am

Aye. There's the rub. So spread the word!

Helen of London

Best bit!

Post by Helen of London » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:58 pm

I absolutely love skinner street - the shops, the shopfronts, the style of the corner where the posh underwear shop is, and I love the way you walk along that lovely wide street away from Flowergate and all of a sudden you are staring at the sea !!!!!

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:53 am

The building above the posh underwear shop is Harold Mansions, Helen. I'd love to know its history - that sweeping staircase has been so grand in its time.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/phot ... =551522944