New Year in Whitby

Been to a great event or venue in the Whitby area and want to tell people about it? Going to one? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Andypandy

New Year in Whitby

Post by Andypandy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:52 pm

Just booked again (3rd year) to spend new year in Whitby.I know there are plenty of great pubs as we tried to do them all last new years day- only made it to 11.However we didn't make the best of choices on old years night!So can anyone recommend anywhere lively and friendly for 2 couples aged 40+....Cheers :)

McRod

Post by McRod » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:03 am

Andy you`re spoiled for choice.

I could start recommending but i fear it would take me all day. ;)

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:27 pm

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it depends what you like! Whitby has no great pubs, but there are lots of them and here are some that I like myself.

My nearest is the Black Horse, Church St, which has perked up a lot since Sue Paling took it over. She has extended the range of real ales, made the back room a no-fag-zone, and started serving tapas (I think she gets the fishy ones from the Whitby Catch).

Also on Church Street, the Duke of York does good bar meals and decent beer, with a spectacular view - we sat in there one New Year's about three years ago, watching the snow go up-river, sideways!

The Endeavour has real ales and usually some live music.

Then there is the Shambles, in the market place, which has the reputaiton of attracting thirty/forty-somethings who think they are twenty-somethings; I make it a rule not to go into pubs with bouncers on the door unless I am really desperate, so I only use the Shambles on quiet mid-weeks - I imagine it will be hoaching on NYE.

And that is just Church Street - plenty of places on the west side of the bridge as well. Have a great time!

Andypandy

Post by Andypandy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:58 pm

Thanks for your replies.This could have been where we went wrong (didn't venture over the bridge) Staying 3 nights this time so i'm sure we will get to Church St.
Just read the Whitby Town pub guide (not dated) but its very good and honest! It even gives you a map.I'm sure we will have a good time.
Cheers :lol:

nad827

New Years Eve

Post by nad827 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:23 pm

I know youve sort of already asked this question but is there anything happening on new years eve? I'm aware of the goth weekend and have been told about a folk band in some pubs (which are not really my cup of tea). Apparently there are fireworks on the pier near the steps but does anyone know of anything else that is happening as i would really like to spend new year there but need to know what is going on???

Thanks

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:53 pm

Endeavour has 'Emerald Green' who are kind of Oirish. Station Inn has changing acts through the week - I've heard some very cheesy tribute bands (nought wrong with cheesy!), some decent R&B, and good singer song writers - and some things best forgotten.

Also it is worth checking out the Musicport website. They run a series of occasional events called the Compass Club - I don't think there's anything on NYE but they have Waterson & Carthy up at the Spa on 20 December

InterStella

Post by InterStella » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Any ideas on teen friendly pubs/activities on NYE folks?Would like to come with my partner and teens and have a few drinks until 9pm when kids usually have to be out of pubs and maybe a curry or something until its time for a midnight walk to watch the fireworks!

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Rosie O Grady's is an Oirish bar in the George Hotel, with disco attached. The New Angel attracts the younger crowd and has dancing. The Shambles attracts a younger clientele as well. But not sure whether by 'teen-friendly' you mean under 18?