Folk week info please

Been to a great event or venue in the Whitby area and want to tell people about it? Going to one? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Gerry

Folk week info please

Post by Gerry » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:24 pm

Hello everybody!!
i'm a new member to the forum & i would like a bit of info about folk week, i came last year for a couple of days to folk week & i loved it the atmosphere in the town is great so i was wondering can anyone just turn up during the week with an instrument & play along in a pub or is it just strictly folk club members?? i play the guitar & if i can get the courage up to play & even sing!!(yikes) in public that would be great but is there a sort of folk club etiquette to follow?? any info would be great & could i get away with singing a beatles song or two??.......... thanks...see you in august.......Gerry :o

Odessy

Post by Odessy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:39 pm

Gerry,
I don't know a lot about folk week but I do know that each pub has allocated performers. The following phone number appears on the posters for people/persons to ring for information 01757 708424 and there is also a Whitby Folk website www.folkwhitby.co.uk which gives all the info about performers etc.
Best of luck
Let us know how you get on.
Odessy

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:08 pm

Thanks very much for the info i really appreciate it ....all the best...Gerry :)

Whitby John

Post by Whitby John » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:39 am

The Folk Week is a fantastic event. There is an official programme of events, and that is highly organised (in a folkie sort of way). But there are also loads of more spontaneous sessions in pubs. If you are in town during folk week, try getting into the Elsinore. For the whole week it seems to be a magnet for every player of the concertina, accordion and melodion in Yorkshire, joined by the odd flautist, bodhran player and others. One year a sword dance team performed in the middle of all this chaos. Squeeze your way in, hold on to your pint, dream of a smoking ban, and enjoy the wall of sound!

MAC

Post by MAC » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:19 am

:idea: Make sure of your accomodation first, people book for next years festival before they leave this years. :wink:

Whitby John

Folk Week 2007

Post by Whitby John » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:00 pm

First, Folk Week 2007 is taking place between 18th and 24th August. Get your bookings in sharpish for accommodation. A lot of the regulars get their names down for next year before they check out. Alternatively, you can camp....

Second, after 25 years as director of the team, Malcolm Storey retired this summer. He got a stupendous send off at the Spa. I guess we'll find out next year whether anything will change, but Malcolm was and is a man of many strengths, and he tended to get his own way quite a lot! :)

aln

Re: Folk week info please

Post by aln » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:03 am

Gerry wrote:Hello everybody!!
i was wondering can anyone just turn up during the week with an instrument & play along in a pub or is it just strictly folk club members?? i play the guitar & if i can get the courage up to play & even sing!!(yikes) in public that would be great but is there a sort of folk club etiquette to follow?? any info would be great & could i get away with singing a beatles song or two??.......... thanks...see you in august.......Gerry :o
:D Quite a few of the pubs have 'open' sessions where anyone can turn up and join in, try 'The Station' (was Tap & Spile) or the do's at the 'First Inn Last Out'. As for etiquette.... the playing/singing usually goes clockwise around the assembled throng so that if everyone gets a chance to start a tune/song if they wish to ( but there's no pressure to perform if you have an attack of nerves) unless there's a long pause between sets when you're welcome to strike up. It's considered 'bad form' to talk loudly when someone is singing or playing but offering the singers/musicians beer will seal your reputation as a gentleman :D The odd Beatles song would probably be alright, it depends on who is in the session at the time. EFDSS members can be a bit sniffy about non traditional songs and some singarounds for singers only ( musicians not welcome ) can be more accurately described as 'dirge-a-thons', the more tragic deaths, unrequited love and misery in a song the better :cry:
The best thing is to turn up, play and enjoy yourself and if you can't find a sesion to suit you start your own :)

Helen of London

Post by Helen of London » Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:16 pm

Hello Gerry; last year, me, my husband and teenage son happened to be in Whitby when folk week was on, it was brilliant- you can pay for events by a kind of pay as you go system even if you haven't booked for the week. Programmes were available in some of the shops- I went to beginners fiddle,(never picked one up before!) and molly dancing lessons, as well as several ceilidhs/barn dances etc- mostly very friendly and inclusive... although there are a few people who were a bit sniffy if you didn't immediately understand the dance steps...this year we booked in advance for the week so we can get in easily to some of the more oversubscribed events, but most things you can pay as you go. The pub sessions can be a bit daunting for some, my husband plays the fiddle in a few folk rock type bands and he was a bit nervous about joining in- not this year tho'! I agree with some of the previous posters that there are more informal sessions going on...we were in the shambles bar one lunchtime and a very random sort of sing-song started up, really anything, including songs that sounded like football songs! Yes, accommodation is very difficult to find unless you book way in advance- we are already thinking about 2008!
I've written about my first Folk week, what it was like for us as complete folk week newbies and me trying to learn the fiddle, on my blog http://helenphil.blogspot.com if you want to take a look it's among the first few early entries...maybe you could meet up with my hubby and do some tunes together! I hope you get there, and really enjoy it!