A NEW NOVEL FOR WHITBY

Been to a great event or venue in the Whitby area and want to tell people about it? Going to one? Talk about it here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Amanda Taylor

A NEW NOVEL FOR WHITBY

Post by Amanda Taylor » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:58 pm

I could think of no more evocative location to set THE CHINAMAN'S BASTARD than Whitby, Staithes and York. This gripping story centres round Daniel Robertshaw, a mentally challenged Staithes man, who is accused of murdering a girl out on the flat Jurassic rocks in the year of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The fishing community on the east coast has been waiting to be written about and as a Channel swimmer I could identify with the bravery of seamen, who often could not swim but set sail day after day in all weathers to bring the fish home.

The story's narrator is a fossil collecting York barrister, James Cairn, who is called to Daniel's defence. Here is an extract from a visit he makes to Whitby.
'The church clock boomed noon. I waited for my appointment in the churchyard of dead mariners. The eerie sea-fret I had imagined all those weeks ago, seated on this same bench, was actually rolling in today... I felt uneasy as if I was being enveloped by the unknown, touched and caressed by a multitude of insistent, disembodied clammy hands. I had got so far as thinking these were the hands of dead mariners when Jackson arrived.'

This book has had excellent reviews. My publisher, Pegasus Elliot Mackenzie, has put me forward for the Portico Prize for Literature.

THE CHINAMAN'S BASTARD is available at The Whitby Bookshop, most other high street bookshops and on line.

Comments welcomed and I hope you enjoy,

Amanda Taylor
If you love the Whitby coast you'll love this novel.

sports_mad2004

Post by sports_mad2004 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Removed
Last edited by sports_mad2004 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 am

A little unkind, Sporty.

Amanda Taylor

A NEW NOVEL FOR WHITBY

Post by Amanda Taylor » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:52 am

READ THE BOOK
If you love the Whitby coast you'll love this novel.