The Strangest Village in Britain

Discuss Whitby's media appearances here including travel shows, tv productions (ie Heartbeat etc), films etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

McRod

The Strangest Village in Britain

Post by McRod » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:15 pm

Finally managed to get my hands on a recording (DvD) of this documentary.

It`s the one that was shown in 2005 and was noticable in that "Barry", the rather odd looking chap who wanders all over Whitby, tells his story.

Your heart really goes out to him, especially when he explains how he was born in Paddington Station, platform number 9. :D

If you know who Barry is, but have never spoken to him, prepare to be pleasantly surprised.

If anyone wants a copy, P.M. me and i`ll make a few copies. Only a few tho for ACTIVE members on this site. Active as in more than 20 recent posts.

captain_whitby

Post by captain_whitby » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:35 am

who is barry ?

McRod

Post by McRod » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:50 am

Barry arrived in Whitby early last year after having spent 25 years in an institution in Botton.

You`ll see him almost daily wandering along Pier Road. St Anne`s Staith etc.

He is a rather unusual looking chap, you really couldn`t miss his wild grey affro and his white beard.

The documentary charts his progress as he looks to persue a "normal" outside the institution of Botton.

Odessy

Post by Odessy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:03 pm

Yes, I have seen him quite a bit. I would love to know his story. Maybe when someone else has finished with the disc that can let me have it (without hanging). Is Barry approachable, friendly etc?

Odessy

RAZ

Post by RAZ » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:17 pm

My wife and I visit Whitby every weekend in the summer, as we have a caravan nearby. We first saw Barry last year, but were both a little hesitant to speak to him.

When we did eventualy speak to him a couple of weeks later, we found him very polite and aproachable. We wondered where he was from and where he lived. I will try and get a copy of the DVD as we are very interested in watching it.

RAZ.

McRod

Post by McRod » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 pm

RAZ wrote:My wife and I visit Whitby every weekend in the summer, as we have a caravan nearby. We first saw Barry last year, but were both a little hesitant to speak to him.

When we did eventualy speak to him a couple of weeks later, we found him very polite and aproachable. We wondered where he was from and where he lived. I will try and get a copy of the DVD as we are very interested in watching it.

RAZ.
P.M. me Raz.

I burned off a few copies last Autumn.

Kat

Post by Kat » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:50 am

Can I be cheeky and ask could I please have a copy of the DVD? Although I have not made more than 20 posts on here :cry: But if PM's count then I have :wink: As Sandra very kindly helped me find pet friendly places and a dog groomer.
As someone who is hoping to move to Whitby this year, and have been a visitor for many years I have seen Barry wondering around, and have often wondered about him. I would love to know about him for when I do move to Whitby.
Luv Kat xxx

McRod

Post by McRod » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:34 pm

Sure Kat,

PM me for details.

Kat

Post by Kat » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:59 am

Thank you McRod, I have just PM you.
Luv Kat xxx

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:56 pm

Kat wrote:Can I be cheeky and ask could I please have a copy of the DVD? Although I have not made more than 20 posts on here :cry: But if PM's count then I have :wink: As Sandra very kindly helped me find pet friendly places and a dog groomer.
As someone who is hoping to move to Whitby this year, and have been a visitor for many years I have seen Barry wondering around, and have often wondered about him. I would love to know about him for when I do move to Whitby.
Luv Kat xxx
Kat!!! Great to see you ( so to speak!!) Happy New Year :D

Kat

Post by Kat » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:03 am

Thank You Sandylady. A very Happy New Year, to you and everyone else as well.
I'm a little behind as always :oops:
Luv Kat xxx

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:00 pm

No problem... better late than never :lol:

Kat

Post by Kat » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:34 am

Very interesting watching, my heart goes out to him, I hope one day to get a chance to speak to Barry. He seems to have adapted well.
Thank you very much McRod for giving me the opportunity to see this DVD.
Luv Kat xxx

McRod

Post by McRod » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:17 pm

Nps Kat, glad you enjoyed it.

Kat

Post by Kat » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:02 am

Just out of curiosity is Barry still around?
I was in Whitby all last week and never saw him once, I know the weather was at it's worst.
Trust me to pick the week with snow, gale force winds and spring tides bringing floods :roll:
Luv Kat xxx