What on Earth is being built up near the Abbey?

Talk in here about all things historical relating to Whitby and the surorunding area.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Buck174

What on Earth is being built up near the Abbey?

Post by Buck174 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:27 pm

How have the town planners allowed the sky line to be changed in such an ugly and over developed manner ?
I visited Whitby today(20/03/2006) and as I drove down into the town the familiar land marks are dwarfed by this ugly monstrosity.
What is it?
Does Whitby need it?
All the many beautifull pictures,paintings, both professional and amateur,done every year will now include this thing and will be seen around the world.
I also noticed the massive developements under the "New" bridge.
Did whitby need to develope the area like that?Where is the infastructure to go with it?
It's not in keeping with the town that I've known for half a century.
Pete, dismayed Whitby lover. :cry:

captain_whitby

Post by captain_whitby » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:31 pm

i think your talking about the new youth hostel if so it has always been there although not as a youth hostel....

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:36 pm

Quaite raight - it's English Heritage/Lottery-funded restoration of the old house into a youth hostel which will be the most spectacular in Hingerland, I reckon. As for the development under new bridge - well, three cheers to your comments. It's known locally as Stalag Seven and was being developed when we moved here - although the plans looked nothing like the reality and the general consensus seems to be that the town was duped into it.

However, townsfolk were ready the next time and fought off a similar development much closer to town. A plan has just been passed for a much smaller scale scheme which includes no housing or shops, but the locals still don't want the two-storey building on the harbourside. It includes toilets and showers for the marina users, a cafe open to all, a function room and some small business units - which is how the Euro funding for it was landed.

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Fri May 26, 2006 8:20 pm

My ex-husband & his current wife( :roll: ) live in that development under the bridge. They are on the top floor of their building & can't find anyone prepared to clean their windows. They can't reach all of the outside from inside either! (Must have been designed by a man!)

Maidmarian

Post by Maidmarian » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:24 pm

Are you talking about Whitehall Landings Apartments ?

We stayed there 5-12th August (ground floor).

It was good for us as there was someone with mobility problems in our party ---- BUT----it was expensive & it wasn't possible to access the outside directly from the apartment, so despite the living-room being almost ON the river, we had to walk through the building & around it to stand outside & enjoy the sunshine & the view !!!!!

Was that a condition of planning permission, do you think , or just (as SL describes) bad design ?

Sandylady

Post by Sandylady » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Those are the apartments we are talking about.

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:48 pm

Buck174
Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:27 pm Post subject: What on Earth is being built up near the Abbey? How have the town planners allowed the sky line to be changed in such an ugly and over developed manner ?

Ooooh - I think I misunderstood. Is this the building you mean?

http://business.scarborough.gov.uk/imag ... outs-s.jpg

If so, it's the 'new' Green Lane neighbourhood centre. Massive, it is. Although it looks close to the Abbey from town, it's actually a fair way away on Green Lane, but I do agree it's a blot on the landscape from below, perched right on the skyline. You can't help but think that someone boobed there. Must have been some Euro funds going begging.

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... 9%26sa%3DN

wesker26

Post by wesker26 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:03 am

You know what really annoyed me about that building, it looks just like every other modern house, centre or business premise.

In other word ugly and doesnt fit with the surrounding area.

stinknugget

Post by stinknugget » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:45 am

wesker26 wrote:You know what really annoyed me about that building, it looks just like every other modern house, centre or business premise.

In other word ugly and doesnt fit with the surrounding area.
I totally agree, and am astonished that it had even been given approval. It does nothing for the general appearance.

I was watching Location Location Location some time ago, and the preseter was walking down a busy main highstreet (I can't remember the town name). And all the shop signs and fronts were in keep with the style of building. I remember some big highstreet names, too. All proper sign written. Looks like time, thought and care had been put into the overall appearance.
I bet the towns folk were pleased and proud.

Modernisation is great. But it shouldn't compromise the beauty.