Scotch Eggs

Talk in here about all things historical relating to Whitby and the surorunding area.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

taphonomy

Scotch Eggs

Post by taphonomy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:14 am

According to some sources scotch eggs were originally invented in Whitby. This letter from The Guardian seems to suggest it is true, but there are many other theories. Also the book mentioned in the letter does not exist as far as I can tell. It reads thus...

SCOTCH eggs originated in the Whitby area of Yorkshire in the late 19th century. Originally they were not covered in sausage meat but in a rich, creamy fish paste before being sprinkled with breadcrumbs. Their name in those days was 'Scotties,' allegedly because they were made at an eatery by the name of William J Scott & Sons close to the seafront. Hence, over a period of time, the term Scotch eggs was adopted. This was thought to be because the major foodstores who started selling the delicacy were unhappy with the name and adopted a more formal approach to marketing. Sausage meat replaced the fish paste purely for packaging reasons, although on my last visit to Scarborough the original recipe was still being used in a local cafeteria. More information can be obtained from Culinary Delights of Yorkshire by Peter Bone (R Fyfe & Co, 1981).

Robert Egan, Stevenage, Herts.

If anyone could shed any light on this I'd be most grateful.

petermcgeeney

Re: Scotch Eggs

Post by petermcgeeney » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:36 am

As Russ Abbot used to say, "how do hens do that?" :)

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:00 pm

I'm sure the people of whitby would know about that if it were true.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 05, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm from whitby and I am on the fence on this one. Sounds plausible but not heard if it before.