Names on gravestones in the Abbey.

Talk in here about all things historical relating to Whitby and the surorunding area.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Astley22

Names on gravestones in the Abbey.

Post by Astley22 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:12 am

Does anyone have details of the names on the gravestones in Whitby Abbey's graveyard? I want to know what is written on all those named Corner, my family, with full names, dates etc. A tall order but I have been referred to this Forum as a possible provider...! In hope,
John K Corner.

David Perry

Re: Names on gravestones in the Abbey.

Post by David Perry » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm not aware of any on-line sources (I've never looked) but there was a bit in the Gazette some months or even a year or two ago about a project to record all the inscriptions.

These may be in the church already which is where other gravestone records are kept.

Tilly

Re: Names on gravestones in the Abbey.

Post by Tilly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:25 pm

East Yorkshire Family History Society have produced a booklet of all the Whitby Monumental Inscriptions as they were recorded in St Mary's churchyard in 1877 before many became so weathered or were lost to coastal erosion. As far as I can see there are none listed for the surname Corner. Obviously, there could still be Corners buried there, but they were in grave plots which were not decorated with a headstone or other memorial stone.