Does anybody want to join in with my new Whitby history webs

Talk in here about all things historical relating to Whitby and the surorunding area.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

thepersuader

Does anybody want to join in with my new Whitby history webs

Post by thepersuader » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:10 pm

been tinkering around with various articles about Whitby's history for a few years and I've posted some of my articles on my blog and holiday cottage website.
I also started Whitby Fans on Facebook and I'm going to start a website all about Whitby's history, but unfortunately I don't think I'm that well informed myself, so it is anybody out there that would like to join in the fun please let me know. All the best Alan Davidson
Last edited by thepersuader on Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan Davidson

ianwigley

Re: Does anybody want to join in with my new Whitby history

Post by ianwigley » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:59 am

Alan,

Count me in, I can meet you half way.

Dave Graham is worth a shout, he knows his stuff, Peter McGeeney and Kizzie too, all on here.

Ian

Dave LT

Post by Dave LT » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Can anyone on this site help me I'm looking for the newspaper that took a picture of my Father-in-laws boat the "Henrietta" in the later part of 1953 as it was the first boat to take herrings from Whitby to Great Yarmouth since the first world war. It is a Dutch regitered Boat and did coastal work in and around the Uk, and Europe after the second world war.
Dave

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:27 pm

The only local paper then, as now, is 'The Whitby Gazette'.
I don't think its put past editions on line but you could try contacting them. www.whitbygazette.co.uk

They will have copies of 'the gazette though in Whitby Library.

thepersuader

Post by thepersuader » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Dave

The only thing that I think I'm correct in saying is that the Whitby Gazette has not placed any of its old newspapers onto microfilm, and I've got a feeling that they've moved a lot of the old newspapers to another location or even lost them. I was talking to a guy about it last year but I'm not sure the facts. I got a feeling it was difficult to try and find particular stories from the past but the best way is to get straight through to them and asked them on the telephone.
Last edited by thepersuader on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan Davidson

thepersuader

Post by thepersuader » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:06 pm

ianwigley wrote:Alan,

Count me in, I can meet you half way.

Dave Graham is worth a shout, he knows his stuff, Peter McGeeney and Kizzie too, all on here.

Ian
That sounds good Ian, thanks a lot for your offer and suggesting you the people. I think I'll start the website with the WordPress platform and then basically bit by bit build it with suggestions and maybe some help from other people. As soon as I get the time to kick off the initial website I will post on here which hopefully will be in the next month or so I've just as most people are a little busy paying the bills. :-)
Alan Davidson

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:22 pm

ianwigley wrote:Dave Graham is worth a shout, he knows his stuff, Peter McGeeney and Kizzie too, all on here.
I'll help as much as I can :).

Kizzie xxx

thepersuader

Post by thepersuader » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:47 pm

That's great Kizzie Cheers

I'll let you know as soon as I've made some progress all ....
Alan Davidson

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:20 pm

Whitby Library has a complete record of the ' Gazette and it is complete.

FishingBoatHeritage

Post by FishingBoatHeritage » Wed May 09, 2012 4:54 am

I am working on the history of the Fishing Industry including the Whitby (WY)boats and am loading them onto my website as my time permits. I have copies of all of their registers from 1869 to 1989 at which point they were transferred to the online EU Fleet Register.
I am more than happy to coordinate my work with yours in any way I can. I am also able to help with a limited amount of research for folk because I have it all on digital images. All of this material is held in your Archives at Northallerton. I got a lot of help from the staff there.
I have used The Gazette in Whitby Library. The staff were also very helpful and the system was easy to use.
Douglas Paterson
Aberdeen
www.fishingboatheritage.com