St Mary's Church - mystery gunfire!

Talk in here about all things historical relating to Whitby and the surorunding area.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

hoops

St Mary's Church - mystery gunfire!

Post by hoops » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi all -

I'm trying to find a bit of information regarding a slightly odd find at St Mary's Church a few years ago.

The summary is that in the South Transept I found a pew that had clearly been shot with a shotgun at some point, probably from the balcony. It was full of holes, and indeed there was the odd lead pellet still embedded in there so it wasn't just woodworm. It looked like rather old damage, since the splintering around the exit of the holes seemed well aged.

So I asked one of the people working there about it, hoping for some interesting story to be forthcoming.

"Don't know anything about that" she said. "Never been any shotguns in here."

Oh.

Still, I thought it was an intrinsically interesting thing in itself - I mean, how often do you find evidence of gunfire inside a church? - so next time I was along with a friend who'd not been before I took her along to show her the gunshot. Well, there was a sort of A/V show in the South Transept, which was certainly a change. But there was another more striking change: all the holes had been filled in and coloured to blend with the old wood.

But I'm still wondering; is there any interesting story relating to this? (I have been pointed to "The Eagle has Landed" but I'm sure that any German paratroopers arriving in Whitby would have been noticed!)

Does anyone here know anything about it?

Kizzie Kat

Re: St Mary's Church - mystery gunfire!

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:52 am

That's odd, I've never seen that before!! I too would like to know the story behind it. It's not very often you see bullet holes in or around churches-the only other place I've seen them is outside the church at Elvaston Castle here in Derby which is where they lined people up and shot them during the civil war. You can tell the holes are from musket balls, there's even a few that are higher up the building.

Kizzie xxx

hoops

Post by hoops » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:23 am

Kizzie Kat wrote:there's even a few that are higher up the building.
Hm, that's interesting - firing squad members who didn't fancy the job perhaps?

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:01 pm

hoops wrote:
Kizzie Kat wrote:there's even a few that are higher up the building.
Hm, that's interesting - firing squad members who didn't fancy the job perhaps?
That or very bad shots!!

Kizzie xxx

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:34 pm

Shall have to look for that. Been in there so many time, I love the place. But that's a new one on me!

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 am

The vestry door in St Mungo's Cathedral in Glasgow is peppered with musket balls. A relic of the reformation.