Painting of Whitby

Talk in here about all things historical relating to Whitby and the surorunding area.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

trickytrees

Painting of Whitby

Post by trickytrees » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:02 pm

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me, I have a painting called "Whitby" by Douglas Snowdon, its a water colour, set in the 19th century at a guess, would be interested if anyone could throw some light on this, many thanks.
Nigel Morris

Mackem74

Post by Mackem74 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:25 am

Hello Nigel.
You could email the picture to the Whitby Gazette - one of the readers would be able to shed some light on it, I'm sure.
Email: editorial@whitbygazette.co.uk

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 am

Yes, or you could email it to us and we can put it on Whitby Online to see if anyone recognises it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:05 am

Received your email, thank you. Here is your picture. Anyone recognise it?

I notice that the small yachts in the foreground are relatively modern designs, but there are a LOT more fishing boats moored up than there are nowadays, so that dates it somewhat.

Angela

Post by Angela » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:59 pm

If it is a painting, it will be difficult to date on the subject alone as there is 'artistic licence' abound here....it could have been painted from photographs from different periods etc etc...or doctored later. Best bet would be to concentrate on the artist as that will give you a better dating range than the subject matter for the actual painting itself. Lots of artists have 'periods' well documented.
Like admin says the boats in the foreground look 20/21st century, the ships in the background are plentiful and perhaps slightly older indicative of a herring/whaling fleet, the royal hotel is very bright white, if you look now it is a very dirty colour.

Douglas Snowdon Born 1919 did a lot of sea/water scenes...you can see a lot of these if you join artnet www.artnet.com
(I just found this surfing the net)

Good luck!

macsnan

Post by macsnan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi thanks for that we know it has been in the house over 40 years and is big at 6ft x 4ft it is to big to put in our house so need to know what to do with it

trickytrees

Post by trickytrees » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Hi, Thanks for your replies, The picture shown is not the one I have, its set in Victorian or earlier times, small sailing fishing boats in the distance, in foreground a woman walking along path. Will take photo & e mail as suggested.
Many Thanks. Nigel Morris