Why do you do it?

Are you a Goth? Do you want to talk about Goths? This is the forum for all Goth related chat.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Fridolf

Why do you do it?

Post by Fridolf » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:25 am

I have seen goths in Helsinki many times, and many more in England. But I don´t really know any goths. I´m just wondering: why?
What makes you dress all black? I wan´t to understand it, but I haven´t been able to yet. So please, tell me why you do it. :shock:
For every drop of rain that falls a flower grows.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Hello again :) !! I myself am not a true goth, although I do sometimes wear clothes like them and can understand some of their ways. I don't really belong to any "group"-I'm just me :) !! x

Love-Lies-Bleeding

Post by Love-Lies-Bleeding » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:14 am

Ask 10 goths, get 11 different answers...

Goths don't really dress all in black, honestly. :lol:

For myself, it's a bit silly especially in the height of summer...the hippy stuff comes out. I just happen to like wearing black, as well as pink, and green, and...

There is nothing and nobody making the tenuous "us" dress all in black...just a predeliction. Personally, I think it looks aesthetically pleasing.

Goth really is more about the music than the fashion...it's just that the fashion does kind of go with the "scene." Whatever that is. ;)
~*Angelica Carnis*~

Fridolf

Post by Fridolf » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:32 am

Love-Lies-Bleeding wrote:Ask 10 goths, get 11 different answers...
Yeah, I guessed as much. I thought that If I´d get a few answers it might kick start my brain. :wink:

So what music is it that you listen to?

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:28 pm

Well, I enjoy wearing black most of the time (I am atm), but I also enjoy wearing white (which shows off my dark skin) and red.
Like I said though, I have several different styles. x

Love-Lies-Bleeding

Post by Love-Lies-Bleeding » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:26 pm

Fridolf wrote:
Love-Lies-Bleeding wrote:Ask 10 goths, get 11 different answers...
Yeah, I guessed as much. I thought that If I´d get a few answers it might kick start my brain. :wink:

So what music is it that you listen to?
I particularly like (goth/ish-wise) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Faith and the Muse, Siouxie, Rhea's Obsession, Switchblade Symphony, New Model Army, London After Midnight. Generally the more traditional and ethereal stuff, rather than the more club-based sounds. (Goth comes in a good few flavours!)

I also like a whole lot of other stuff, not goth-related - rock, metal, folk and even the Puppini Sisters.

Probably the majority of goths would refuse to be pigeonholed into just one "type" of music - that would narrow horizons just a little too much!
~*Angelica Carnis*~

Fridolf

Post by Fridolf » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:04 am

Love-Lies-Bleeding wrote:
I particularly like (goth/ish-wise) Depeche Mode, The Cure, Faith and the Muse, Siouxie, Rhea's Obsession, Switchblade Symphony, New Model Army, London After Midnight. Generally the more traditional and ethereal stuff, rather than the more club-based sounds. (Goth comes in a good few flavours!)

I also like a whole lot of other stuff, not goth-related - rock, metal, folk and even the Puppini Sisters.
I too listen to Depeche Mode, The Cure and The Puppini Sisters. It can´t just be the music. I still don´t understand it.
Any more suggestions or explanations?

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:22 pm

I listen to most kinds of music because I adore it :) !! x

Love-Lies-Bleeding

Post by Love-Lies-Bleeding » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:11 pm

I was mentioning bands who were a little more well-known though, Fridolf. :) Goth is in essence a minority subculture (and consequently, bands little-known to others outside it) which (in my opinion, of course) is both consciously aloof by poking fun at itself as a "lifestyle," but also wholeheartedly embraces individuality within its sphere. Hence it's remarkably difficult to pin down! ;)

This is a fairly good FAQ, though a little old now. http://www.countb.areti.co.uk/upgfaq/faq.html

Personally speaking, I was into rock, metal, industrial and then riot grrl before I really knew of goth type stuff (as I was about six years too late to experience its heyday). Black was a sort of badge as an anti-fashion statement and also reaaally annoyed the teachers on non-uniform days. ;) A way of standing out from the crowd I suppose, and declaring your individuality at a time when we were encouraged to conform, by our peers as well as the teachers. (Though I wasn't thinking all that through; it just happened.) And my big sister had some goth mates who I thought were really cool lol. When I found It's Anonymous in Middlesborough (a goth/hippy shop, now sadly closed) it felt like I'd come home, and things sort of went from there!

I experimented a lot with clothing in college, and got into goth there too. So I suppose the clothes were a way of being creative, as well as showing off a bit. ;).

I hope that's clarified things a little..!
~*Angelica Carnis*~

Fridolf

Post by Fridolf » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:00 pm

Love-Lies-Bleeding wrote:I hope that's clarified things a little..!
It certainly did! Thanx! :)

I especially enjoyed this bit: "Volvos are very popular with goths. It might have something to do with their hearse-like appearance (Volvos, not goths). Or maybe goths get ridiculed so much that they're the only people who can drive Volvos and not feel embarrassed." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Allison DuBois in Medium drives a Volvo :roll: !! x

Fridolf

Post by Fridolf » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:27 pm

I have a few friends who are driving Volvo. And it isn´t really my favourite car. I prefer Mercedes. And of course - my dream car - Ford Anglia 105E! :wink:

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:44 pm

My brother totally adores cars :) !! x

stinknugget

Post by stinknugget » Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:52 am

I'm not a goth, but I mostly dress in black. It's my prefared choice. And I rarly get named brands of clothing. Especially if their logo is embelished enough to see from a hundred paces, as seems to be the norm these days. My reason is simple; if they want me to advertise their brand, give me it for free. Or pay me to have it!

My music style is mostly metal, with the odd bit of classical for good measure. So the clothing to meet the style doesn't come into it.
But I totally understand the goth dress sense.
In many ways I think they are quite liberated. They don't give a monkeys what the avarage Joe thinks of them. And that is healthy.
I have never seen a goth being rude or aggressive.
Overall, I sometimes wish I shared their apprestiation for music, so that I might be inclined to dress their way.
The best I can manage is Manson. He's good. The rest, for me is too slow.