nights out in whitby for goths

Are you a Goth? Do you want to talk about Goths? This is the forum for all Goth related chat.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

happygoth

nights out in whitby for goths

Post by happygoth » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:49 pm

Hi, I was wondering if some of the goths in Whitby or regular vistiors could help me on something. I am currently writing a novel set in Whitby and although i visit quite often i have yet to discover the night life for a goth in Whitby and i am sure it exists! Basically i would like to know if there are any venues for local live bands to play and where the goths tend to go. Most of my main characters are between the ages of 17-25 and into alternative and goth music and i would like to know where they will probably go for a night out. Any help given would be much appreciated and i'll love you forever. And when i am rich and famous i will buy you a pint! Seriously though, any little help would be great.
Thanks, Michelle

Love-Lies-Bleeding

Post by Love-Lies-Bleeding » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:26 pm

Well Michelle, there aren't tremendous numbers of goths around Whitby outside the goth weekends.

I'm sorry to say that when I go back home, it's round mates, and in the pub! *well, not that sorry really!*

I think I read something once about an occasional alt night at the rifle club though. *not sure if that would sound good in print!*
~*Angelica Carnis*~

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:21 pm

When goths are in town, the most goth-friendly pubs seem to be the Little Angel and the Elsinore, both on Flowergate - where there is also a goth shop. But this is only as a passing onlooker.

Between the special weekends (three this year, I think), as LLB says, there isn't really a strong goth presence, although there is a goth B&B - called Bats and Broomsticks, I think - on Prospect Hill.

You do see the odd goth, but not huge numbers between these weekends. Website: http://www.topmum.co.uk/

happygoth

thanks for the replies

Post by happygoth » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:24 pm

thanks for replying to me, i had heard a rumour about rifles and i will check that out next month when i am there. i am suprised there aren't more, i live in scunthorpe and we have more alternative places! well if anyone has any more to add it would be appreciated and to those who replied thanks a bundle, i think i will have to move to whitby and open and altenative nightspot!

Love-Lies-Bleeding

Post by Love-Lies-Bleeding » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:26 pm

Please do. :wink: We have none where I'm living presently either, and it's a university city! Alt/rock/goth music isn't tolerated by most venues round us in Bangor. :? At least Whitby has it twice a year!

MarionHaste, there is also a 'do' in January, a Masqued Ball for the Dracula Society, which might be what you're thinking of for the third one?

(Happy, it's held at the Metropole Hotel btw. :wink: )
~*Angelica Carnis*~

MarionHaste

Post by MarionHaste » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:23 pm

I read about a New Year's Eve bash at the Metropole in the Gazette some time ago, LLB, which was flagged up as a new event. Not read anything since, though. It may well be the same thing - maybe I got the dates around my neck.