goth music

Are you a Goth? Do you want to talk about Goths? This is the forum for all Goth related chat.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Nigel

Re: goth music

Post by Nigel » Sat May 28, 2011 12:20 am

Oh by the way is the movie Queen of the Damned worth watching :?:

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Sat May 28, 2011 10:00 am

So glad that you like what you got round to listening too and yes! The Matrix Soundtrack is a fab one too! Some old fashioned Manson on there before he went mainstream *le sigh*

As for the movie, yes! Do watch it. It is really good and I think shows the side to vampires that not many films will show and that is how dark, manipulative and selfish they really are. If you like grown up films and not this "Ooo, I say, I'm a Vamp and I sparkle, tra la la!" stuff then big yes there. And FYI - day walkers don't exit, unless they're an Ancient (and even then only *some* know the ways to prevent let's say, severe sunburn to the tenth degree) and werewolves and vampires don't 'get along'. It's not like getting a kitten and a puppy and raising them together and saying "Awww! Cute! They'll be best friend forever and ever and goooo!" :evil: /rant over.
Can you tell I want Anne Rice to impale Stephanie Meyer? Excuse the pun. *smiles sweetly* Anyways, I like vampy stuffs so I guess it makes me fume as I am a Vampire the Masquerade fan. Admitedly not played the role play games but have read the novels and they are pure genius!

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Sat May 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Just a warning though, Queen Of The Damned is no Interview With The Vampire (as you can tell by the lack of talent-aside from Paul McGann and Stewart Townsend-in QOTD.) It's an MTV film and is made very much for a teenage audience unlike IWTV. It is still worth a watch though.

Kizzie xxx

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Sun May 29, 2011 12:00 am

It's definitely no Interview With The Vampire, however, it isn't 'geared towards a teenage audience' as much as Twilight is. Compared to recent vampire movies that contain nothing but lacklustre in plot, acting and eveything else other than shiney graphics it is more worth the watch. And doesn't leave you feeling like you want to write to the director requesting the last two hours of your life back. 8)

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Sun May 29, 2011 1:34 am

I have read IWaV and I have seen the film,The book was excellent and I think the film was a good interpretation. I haven't seen any of the Twilight films so I cannot judge them although I have no desire to see them.I am a traditionalist at heart and although I do not speak from experience I expect my vampires to be selfish and have a strong need for self preservation. In my opinion Dracula is still the iconic vampire novel but maybe I'm old fashioned, but if I would suggest reading material of a similar ilk, Tom Holland's Vampyre and a story called The Moth Diaries I'm sure you would find them enjoyable

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Sun May 29, 2011 7:46 pm

The Vampyre is very good, as is The Historian.

Kizzie xxx

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 pm

Ah the Historian how could I forget that one very good

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Mon May 30, 2011 8:01 am

One of the books I'm currently reading the the latest True Blood book :)!!

Kizzie xxx

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Mon May 30, 2011 6:18 pm

How you getting on with that is it any good? I caught an episode on tv and it looked ok but because I hadn't seen them from the beginning I didn't watch any more

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Mon May 30, 2011 8:37 pm

It's quite good :). I love the series and the books, they are all fantastic. Very much for adults though.

Kizzie xxx

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:18 am

Thank you Nigel! :) I shall be looking those up as I love books. Sure I love films too but I think books are so much more capivating. One more suggestion I would say is read I am Legend. It's nothing like the movie and not really 'true' vampirism but very well done and you will really feel for Robert Neville. The writter makes you paint his living and his character in your mind so vividly.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:05 pm

I Am Legend is very good :). For a closer version of the book, you should watch The Omega Man. It doesn't end the same as the book, but otherwise sticks closely to it. Have either of you read The Hundred and Ninety-nine Steps by Michel Faber? Gothic and, of course, set in Whitby :). I'm currently reading The Crimson Petal And The White by the same author.

Kizzie xxx

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:33 pm

It seems we three have a similar taste in reading material, I read I am Legend about 20 yrs ago a very original concept were the man becomes the monster. I think if I'm correct that it won the Nebula award for science fiction in the late 60's. I have not read the 199 steps but I will look for a copy in the Whitby book shop on Church st when I'm there in three weeks :D sorry about couldn't help myself :oops:
Last edited by Nigel on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EekaRat

Post by EekaRat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:27 am

Danielle Dax, Cocteau Twins, 'Banshees, Bauhaus, The Cure & Fields of the Nephilim?! (On a retro theme; obviously I'm just a little behind times on the Goth front...) Nick Cave's still kindve current tho, ish? Maybe PJHarvey; is she Goth - or just eccentric/ unique?
Never heard Massive Attack described as Goth, they used to be put under the terrible label of 'trip-hop'. And what is 'steam punk'?!

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Steampunk is a subculture of goth. It's still goth, but the clothes have more colours and they wear a lot of uniforms and the like.

Kizzie xxx