goth music

Are you a Goth? Do you want to talk about Goths? This is the forum for all Goth related chat.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Nigel

goth music

Post by Nigel » Mon May 16, 2011 10:27 pm

I love to listen to all sorts of music from rock, blues, jazz, folk to classical and opera, but I haven't heard much goth music although I do like Marylin Mansons cover of Annie Lennox's 'Sweet Dreams' if that is goth? anyway I would appreciate it if someone could recommend a few bands I should listen to, thanks see yah :?:

Kizzie Kat

Re: goth music

Post by Kizzie Kat » Tue May 17, 2011 8:52 pm

HIM and The 69 Eyes are my favoutites, but some people wouldn't class them as goth :). Juliette And The Licks (now known as Juliette Lewis) are a good band too, but are rock music rather than goth. I hope that helps :).

Kizzie xxx

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Tue May 17, 2011 10:50 pm

Thank you Kizzie you're a star I'll pop along to Lastfm and check them out, I'll let you know what I think, see yah

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Tue May 17, 2011 11:23 pm

I found The 69 Eyes and HIM on you tube they're both very good bands but I think The 69 Eyes just have the edge for me they have a retro feel to them and his voice is very distinctive thanks again Kizzie you have good taste 8)

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Thu May 19, 2011 1:17 pm

Hehe, thanks, I'm glad you liked them :). Scandanavian rock music is very good, you should try Turbonegro too.

Kizzie xxx

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Thu May 19, 2011 11:29 pm

I've just checked out Turbonegro If I was 20yrs younger and still had my long hair (or a bit more hair :cry: ) I would have been head banging it took me back to Rock City (Notts) when I used to go and see bands like Hawkwind and Sabbath.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Fri May 20, 2011 8:58 pm

My brother's a big fan of Turbonegro, I'm glad you enjoyed them :).

Kizzie xxx

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Thu May 26, 2011 2:46 pm

Hello Nigel!

I would say that it depends on the style of music you are interested in. For example, if you like the 80's and Annie Lennox then you will probably love a few things along the 80's Synth/Pop lines i.e. Billy Idol with White Wedding and his other hit Rebel Yell. Then there's Soft Cell and Tainted Love, lots of stuff by The Cure and Sister's of Mercy.

There is more dancey, heavy bassed stuff that's stompy too called EBM (meaning Electric Beat Mix) or Industrial. Look up a song called Monster by Panzer AG. The hubby and I love that song as we reckon that it's the kind that a Nosferatu vampire would sing while in a top hat, dancing about his victim :D Stuff by CombiChrist is hell good fun too and they tend to remix other small bands stuff (making it better) i.e. a song called 110% **** thats Combichrist and Angelspit. More along this style would be Icon of Coil, KMFDM, Wumpscut and Covenant.
There is a CD that you can get thats various artists called Advanced Electronics 8 that really makes you wanna dance out so if you like heavy, dirty stuff this is great!

I would also sujest you look up the soundtrack for the movie Queen of the Damned. It's just lush really. One of my fav. None of this vampires that glitter rubbish! :evil:

Some of the names off my iTunes list for you: NIN (Nine Inch Nails), Covenant, Icon of Coil, KMFDM, Wumpscut, Panzer AG, The Prodigy, Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Cystal Method, Massive Attack, AFI, Disturbed, Godhead, Depeche Mode, Fear Factory...I could go on then we are going more metal and rock but if you're interested in that too then let me know!

Hope that helps!

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Thu May 26, 2011 8:19 pm

I love 80s music, I was brought up on Eurythmics :)!!

Kizzie xxx

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 pm

Greetings Miss Sakura, you've certainly given me a good deal to look into and for that I thank you. I am already acquainted with Massive Attack, Depeche Mode and the Prodigy (seen Prodigy years ago hard to believe they've been at it 25years and still sound as fresh today) the rest I've jotted down and will be spending my weekend looking them up on lastfm or youtube. As an insomniac I look forward to waiting for the missus to go to bed ( she dose not have the same enthusiasm as I when it comes to music) plugging the headphones in the laptop turning up the volume having a beer and listening to some sounds. The chart music today is ( pardon my French ) pretty much commercial bull shit there to process as much money as possible so its enlightening to here about bands outside of the main stream so thank you once again and I will let you know what I think 8)

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Thu May 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi Kizzie Kat, you would have loved the 80's it was a great time to be young a revolution in fashion and music, and groups like the Cult, the cure, and Souxie and the Banshees paved the way for a lot of the alt bands today.IT was a great time I have fond memories

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Fri May 27, 2011 11:16 am

I have to say I'm not really a fan of goth music, I just like what I like. My favourite groups are Juliette And The Licks/Juliette Lewis, HIM and Lady Gaga. It's a shame that I wasn't born until the end of the 80s because I really would have loved them.

Kizzie xxx

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 pm

Is that the Juliette Lewis the actress or someone completely different :?:

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Fri May 27, 2011 3:34 pm

That is the right lady you're thinking about Nigel. Natural Born Killer ;-D

How's the music hunting going? Ready for more to excite and delight yet?

Nigel

Post by Nigel » Sat May 28, 2011 12:17 am

Miss Sakura first of all thanks for the recommendations at this very moment I am listening to the Q of t D sound track and I like, but Panzer A G what can I say delicious, dark, and delightful.I was really impressed with the track Monster, but Paper Angels did it for me. I also listened to KMFDM and Angelspit also very good.I shall listen to your other recs tonight, something to look forward to. If you haven't already listened to it (Which you probably have ) the Matrix sound track is very good. Once again thank you very much :twisted: