6&7Feb 6 Nations rugby- best pub(s) to watch matches

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Olly808

6&7Feb 6 Nations rugby- best pub(s) to watch matches

Post by Olly808 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi everyone - have been to Whitby quite a few times so know my way around it.

Am coming weekend of 6 Feb with a few mates and we're looking for some advice on the best pubs where we can go watch the 6Nations rugby matches that weekend and enjoy a bit of craic and a few sherbets.
All help gratefully received
Cheers
Olly

ianwigley

Re: 6&7Feb 6 Nations rugby- best pub(s) to watch matches

Post by ianwigley » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 pm

Little Angel on Flowergate is a good place to watch, as is Board Inn...I don't think Duke of York has a TV. That pub down the road from Station Inn (it doubles up as a late night venue/hotel [Molly o Grady's?])..one of those should have it on. Big Angel on New Quay Road, Buck Inn, Endeavour?
Last edited by ianwigley on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:48 pm

All the way to Whitby. To watch a rugby match in a pub???? wtf? :idea:

Olly808

Post by Olly808 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:33 pm

ianwigley
- many thanks for the suggestions - will check them out

David Perry
- yes, imagine that; some blokes going to Whitby for a weekend who are planninng to visit some of the local hostelries (surely a first - might even catch on!). Your informative response allowed me to see the folly in asking for some local advice on which of the 30-ish pubs in the town might be the best ones to visit if we wanted to see a rugby match (though we do like football as well). Luckily, a rugby match doesn't last 72 hours so we might find that we're able to do something else while we're there (though on the many occasions we've been before we've already done the abbey, Dracula, capn cook museum, NYM railway, walked to Sandsend, eaten in most of the restaurants / cafes etc etc etc).

So thanks for your incisive response. I'll be sure to refrain from posing any further questions on this forum just in case you feel compelled to once again share your rapier-like wit (which is a shame as I was hoping to find out which of the many churches we should select for Sunday service to ensure we avail ourselves of the best sermon/ homily). Ho hum.

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:21 pm

I do apologise Olly.

As you can guess I don't visit any of the pubs in Whitby when they've got the TV on.

However the pub in Station square where the buses are has live everything in it. And its pretty large.

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:43 pm

I believe the Granby at the top of Skinner st has a TV - its probably going to be quiet too. There's also the Elsinore opposite the Little Angel on Flowergate. But its a small pub and popular with locals and visitors

Have I redeemed myself yet Olly?