High Hawsker to Robin Hoods Bay

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

jetsetlil

High Hawsker to Robin Hoods Bay

Post by jetsetlil » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:10 pm

I used to come to Whitby for our holidays every year as my grandparents had a caravan at High hawsker. I remember walking down a cinder path from the caravan site to Robin Hoods Bay. Does this path still exist and can you get on it from Whitby?
Thanks in advance

David Perry

Re: High Hawsker to Robin Hoods Bay

Post by David Perry » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:20 pm

I assume you mean the old railway line? Yes, its still there and you can get to/from whitby on it.

jetsetlil

Post by jetsetlil » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Yes you are probably right. Thanks for helping.
Where would I get on that trail from Whitby town centre?

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Its not entirely obvious from the town centre and I'm not too sure whether its signposted. But there's a couple of ways.

From the town centre (BR Station) Head out of town towards Teesside/york/scarborough. Some 400 yds along the road, you'll notice a park on your right and a nice georgian stone building in front of you (Arundale Hotel) at a mini round about. . Here the road turns right up the hill and is probably signed Sandsend. Another road turns Left up a hill and this heads up to teesside/york/scarborough. The road you want is the small road which passes up the right hand side of the hotel when you are facing it. About 100 yards along the road you'll notice it goes through a tunnel. This is the old railway line. There is access to the old line here.

Alternatively:- Go left up the hill at Arundale House and at the traffic lights turn right towards teesside. Just after a pedestrian crossing you should notice a wooden fence on both sides of the road. This goes over the old railway line and you can access it from here aswell.

jetsetlil

Post by jetsetlil » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:05 am

Thank you so much!
I am back in Whitby in may so will try and find it. It will bring back so many memories.