Disabled access

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Gothchick

Disabled access

Post by Gothchick » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:24 am

Hi everyone! I am a regular visitor to your beautiful town but unfortunately my mobility has taken a bit of a pounding over the last few years. Consequently I have bought a mobility scooter so that I can still enjoy the whole of the town and not just areas at harbour level. I am well aware of the hills in Whitby, particularly on the west side, but I would be interested to hear from other mobility scooter users as to the best and easier routes to take. My scooter is one of the smaller ones, called Little Gem (not one of the road-going varieties), so it lacks some oomph when on slopes. I hope someone can give me the lowdown of their experiences. Thanks!

jgharston

Re: Disabled access

Post by jgharston » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 am

I'm a cyclist and I do the same thing trying to find routes that avoid going up hills. The big problem is that there's no real access between the West Cliff area and the rest of town. You have to slog up Waterstead Lane, Downdinner Hill, Chubb Hill, Brunswick Street or Kyber Pass. I tend to cycle to the West Pier, then get off and push up to the top of Kyber Pass. I think that may be the least steep route from the old town to the top.

Once you're on the west cliff, it's flat for miles.
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

Gothchick

Post by Gothchick » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks jgharston. I guessed as much that the Khyber Pass would be the least steep and was wondering about Chubb Hill. I'm hoping my modest scooter will be able to manage it! :)

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:44 pm

But don't forget you cannot drive DOWN Kyhber pass. Unless you want to get crushed by vehicles travlling the opposite way (its a one way st.)

Gothchick

Post by Gothchick » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks for the heads up David. My scooter is a small one for pavement use only so I should be OK :lol: