goathland

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

col72

goathland

Post by col72 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:24 am

does anyone no how much a rail ticket is return from Whitby to goathland thanks

admin
Site Admin

Re: goathland

Post by admin » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:30 am

To go from Whitby to Goathland by train you need to buy two different tickets.

One from Whitby to Grosmont (on the national rail network) and then another from Grosmont to Goathland (on the North York Moors Railway - a privately owned and operated line running steam trains between Grosmont and Pickering).

National Rail Enquiries (for times and prices Whitby - Grosmont (and all stops in the Esk Valley, to Middlesbrough)).
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

North York Moors Railway:
http://www.nymr.co.uk/timetables-and-fares/timetable/

A fabulous day out with beautiful scenery and history! Enjoy!

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:42 am

You can also get the Coastliner bus from Whitby to Goathland direct. We do this, then walk the rail trail path to Grosmont and get the train (either Northern Rail or the steam, depending on what we feel like and timing) back to Whitby. Great day out, we usually have lunch at the pub at Beck Hole just off the trail, but beware - it is closed on Tuesdays...not good if you are thirsty or hungry!

Incidentally, it is £3.40 return, Whitby to Grosmont. If there are two adults travelling together, ask for a Northern Duo ticket, it is £5.40 return for the two of you.

The NYMR steam train fare for a day return, Whitby to Goathland is £14. That through fare is as advertised on the NYMR's own website. You can break your journey to wander round Grosmont if you wish.

Cheers,

Dave

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:42 am

Just for the record, in response to Dave's post, that pub in Beck Hole does sandwiches to die for. You can always get a decent pint there too...

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:58 pm

ianwigley wrote:Just for the record, in response to Dave's post, that pub in Beck Hole does sandwiches to die for. You can always get a decent pint there too...

Correct! Pint of Beckwatter and a scrummy ham sandwich (in a big stottie type barm) with a little pot of pickle sets me up nicely for the walk to Grosmont :)

Hi Ian \o Just had a week in Knaresborough enjoying the beer. On my way home tomorrow via one in the York Tap probably 8)

Oh, incidentally, that pic of me is me having a pint of Beckwatter at the Birch Hall Inn in Beck Hole. Mind you I am over 6 stone lighter now than I was when that was taken!

Cheers,

Dave

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:40 am

Dave,

I did my teacher training in York, lived there for a year. I used to work at The Maltings on Lendal Bridge...I sampled so many decent beers that we had on. I also worked at The Swan on Bishopthorpe Road, another fine boozer - although Tetley's is a run-of-the-mill pint this pub had the best pint of Tetley's I ever had. Good thing about this boozer was that Pete, the landlord, used to let you have free beer while you worked...every shift was a good one.
I did the rounds in York, I don't think there are very many pubs I didn't go in.

Knaresborough, I went in a pub there, basically it was small and the name I don't remember (Black Jacks??), had a cracking pint there. I really do need to spend some more time there....

Regards

Ian