MOVING TO WHITBY ! !

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

jgharston

Re: MOVING TO WHITBY ! !

Post by jgharston » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:52 pm

David Perry wrote:When I was in my teens and twenties, come the end of school holidays, Whitby was dead. No visitors. The only people you saw were locals for the rest of the winter. There were only a couple of ancient and simple cafes and only a couple of restaurants.
I'm a couple of decades younger than you, but I also remember popping around the corner to buy some milk (now a Jet shop) and the green grocer's (now another jet shop), up Church Street to the butcher's (now a cafe) and the baker's (now another cafe); the Co-Op on Wellington Street; Church Street and Cliff Street with more residents than holiday cottages; being able to walk along the pavement without being forced onto the road. Nowadays, I don't think I've ever seen Whitby this deserted. Even the Gazette Office is up for sale!
whitbycottages wrote:I’ve now got several properties on my website all people I’ve met who wanted to obtain more bookings for their holiday cottages. So accidentally I’ve turned into a letting agent which was not my initial intention.
I don't suppose you have any openings for an electrician with dodgy knees and a bad back? ;)
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

David Perry

Re: MOVING TO WHITBY ! !

Post by David Perry » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:18 pm

It is a big complaint of locals getting priced out of the market by wealthier incomers. A particularily bizarre story appeared in the Whitby Gazette a month or so back about some couple 'discovering' Beck Hole. Bought a house there. Lovely they said. "Everyone was so friendly". So as there neighbours moved out they bought these properties. Until most of the tiny hamlet was owned by them. These properties were in turn rented out. Obviously as holiday lets. Now the hamlet is too quiet for them in their old age and they are selling up and moving elsewhere.