MOVING TO WHITBY ! !

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

andyclare

MOVING TO WHITBY ! !

Post by andyclare » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi Whitby lovers,

Me, the wife and kids are thinking about selling up and moving from south Derbyshire to Whitby. trouble is its a massive risk for us as selling our home we would then have to buy another and have have enough money left to live and pay bills until we both found part time employment in or around Whitby area and any advise you Whitby people could offer we would be greatful of. we have been talking about it for bloody years after holidaying most years up there and decided that the time for talking is done,we love the place so much, lets take a risk and do it. I don't know how the job situations are up there, they seem pretty shit most places in the uk so maybe Whitby is no worst to find employment?? we only want maybe 3 days each a week, cleaning, working in shops, supermarket, anything considered. theres more to life than money, we just want enough to pay the bills.
We also want to avoid any bad areas of Whitby (if there are any of course), don't want to move next to some no job druggie scumbag who gets all their rent paid!.

We adore Whitby so much and would take the up and moving risk but need to find any helpful advise we can before starting the ball rolling !

thanks.
I LOVE WHITBY!!!!!!

BobHoliday

Re: MOVING TO WHITBY ! !

Post by BobHoliday » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi Andy. Got to give you credit for your gumption if you go ahead with that plan, but why not reduce the risk a little and be a bit more tentative...

Find somewhere in Whitby which you can rent for 6 months (there are a number of long term lets available I believe), and rent out your own house where you are (the rental market is good in cities I understand).

If things work out you can either carry on renting in Whitby, or do as you originally planned.

if things don't work out you can go back to your home and then try again later.

Puts you in Whitby quicker, with less risk, less cost (legal fees on sell and buy = mega £££) and more options.

Just a thought.

Let us know how you get on.

Oh. PS. It's likely much easier to find work just before and in the summer season. If you move to Whitby in October onwards you'll hit the job minimum.
Bob Holiday

andyclare

Post by andyclare » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:39 pm

Thanks for reply.

A few ways to do it, none risk free I suppose. renting my house now out I wouldn't have a clue, lots of costly problems if you got the wrong tenants in, I don't know, in my ideal world would sell this house for a similar value one in Whitby, trouble is cant borrow money for a mortgage when no income coming in so what I said to the Mrs another option is go to the bank borrow 30-40k whatever, tell them its for home improvement we are building another room on the house, a house extension, A new car, a nice penis extension for me and a nice new pair of plastic tits for the wife ! LOL !!!
We came back from Whitby last Saturday after staying in Seal cottage on church street for this years family holiday. Going to have to find somewhere cheap for 2-3 days maybe latter this year to come up again to do a bit more research and talk to locals to find out what we can.

My wife says we can just sell up here and find a rented house until we find what we want to and can afford to end up buying in Whitby, cant see us wanting to come back here as Whitby is my favourite place on earth to be honest. not looking forward to leaving my mum and dad and family down here but they will like the free seaside holidays I'm sure !!

Anyway, early days still a lot to be thought about. and will listen carefully to yours and any other peoples advise.

Thanks again.
I LOVE WHITBY!!!!!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:54 am

It's an awkward puzzle to solve. If you try to sell up then rent you will have the problem of not knowing when yours will sell, and so therefore can't commit to a rental property until it has sold- so can't give dates.

My suggestion of renting out your place, I think, might be your simplest easiest option. Ask a local rental agency to pop round. They'll tell you how much you could rent your house out for, and how much they'd charge you to do it. They'd then deal with all of the legal side of things and you could just walk away, hassle free.

We use an agent for a small property we have in Devon. Agent handles everything - including finding tenants, vetting tenants and 6 monthly checks on the property. All is reported back to us by email. Once a month we get a cheque for the rent minus the costs which are 12% + VAT.

If you went down that route you could start your dream now. If it goes wrong, no problem - just go back.

PS. Don't see potentially having to return as failure - just a part of the process toward success. You can always try again, with more knowledge, if it fails the first time.

andyclare

Post by andyclare » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:12 am

Thank you,

sounds good advice. keep doing the lottery :wink: that's another way, £50k would do it to cover basic costs we are not greedy like some people !! lol.

Thanks. . . :D
I LOVE WHITBY!!!!!!

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:27 pm

Good luck, Andy. It is indeed a bold move and I wish you and your family well.
I love Whitby too, I love going there twice a year, but I sometimes wonder how I would feel if I lived there all the time.

Next question....where the hell would you go on holiday to if you did move? :D 8) ;)

I thought of you when I saw them painting Spindle Top cottage one of the last times I was there!
All the best,

Dave

andyclare

Post by andyclare » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Hi Dave,

Yea that always crosses your mind, a place you visit, a place u love, u wish to be there all the time but what when you are? do u get fed up of the place? do you not ever go to a beach if on your doorstep?, don't know till you've tried it I suppose, but how many people think the grass is greener by making changes in their lives ? even having affairs with other people and so forth and find that the grass is shitter than the field you had before??? LOL :) . don't think I would want a holiday elsewhere as Whitby as everything for my family (weather permitting of course) kids want sand and a beach, I love exploring cliffs rock pools ect, always events and things happening all year round in Whitby. I'm pretty sure apart from leaving family we wouldn't want to leave Whitby ever.
Lots to think about, but as usual unless your a drug selling benefit scumbag or rob old laddies money is the reason I'm not there now !! :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
I LOVE WHITBY!!!!!!

whitbycottages

Post by whitbycottages » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:53 pm

Hello Andy
I sincerely hope that you manage to make the move to Whitby, I was going to move there in 1988 and had the chance to buy one of the large properties on the Royal Crescent when the banks were supporting small businesses but we never got the property we were gazumped. I’ve always regretted it have been in Bradford ever since. I bought a holiday cottage just before the prices slumped in 2007 and so paid top whack! This made me determined to rent the property out to cover the expensive mortgage and I got into search engine optimisation which means getting your website as high up the search engine rankings as possible.

Since then I’ve got to know quite a few people in Whitby on my numerous visits and in my experience any problem getting on with the”locals”. I’ve now got several properties on my website all people I’ve met who wanted to obtain more bookings for their holiday cottages. So accidentally I’ve turned into a letting agent which was not my initial intention. So anyway good thing came out of the bad thing about my cottage at the top of the price period.

So I’m like you I’m thinking of moving to Whitby permanently but at least I’ve got this little business going which is slowly expanding.

I would be careful because people tell me that the jobs in Whitby and not very well paid and the only people that seem to have money and business owners so maybe it might be worthwhile making some enquiries before you jump ship.

Having said that they always say if you don’t make the move you maylook back and regret like me in 1988!

Keepers informed :-)
All the best Alan

andyclare

Post by andyclare » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Thank you very much Alan for that.

I'm only on £6.19 an hour anyway so u can't get any less ! :) .

I promised my kids we would move up to Whitby soon as we could but looking at things without day dreaming too much they will have a long wait ! I've seen a nice house for sale now in Whitby, £175,000, 3 bedrooms, garage , garden, nothing posh just a house for my family that I could picture us all being happy in. if we won 100k on the lottery then that would be enough to make the move. our house we are in now is I think worth about 140k but we owe 63k still on the mortgage in all honesty :x . I would love to run a little business in Whitby if we ever got there as I have what me and the Mrs thinks is a great idea but I need to get up there first ! :cry:

We have been holidaying for many years in Whitby, stayed in many cottages, we love the place so much but scrimping to save holiday money for a cottage and going up only once a year in an ideal world is not what we would have to do !!!

Never mind, we are a very happy loving family and there are far more important things than pound notes in this world :D :D :D :D :D
I LOVE WHITBY!!!!!!

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:00 am

Do locals go to the Abbey?
No. I've only gone in the grounds once since 1950.

Do locals use the beach?
No.

Why anyone would want to sit on a beach surrounded by others is beyond my comprehension. The only times I use the beach are for :-
a) The odd dog walking trip in winter.
b) The odd bit of surfing in winter in my kayak.

I do wonder what makes you think life is going to be better once you've moved to Whitby?

There is no ideal place to live. If you are not happy in one place you need to examine the reasons you are not happy there. Is it your job? your friends? neighbours?, work opportunities? The danger of moving from one place to another is you simply transfer your problems to that new place. I hear this often.

Whitby is not an 'ideal' place to live. If you want to go on holiday or to visit elsewhere you've got 20 miles of moorland to cross before you to the next town to start with. This means you are also limiting yourself to work opportunities. A lot of the town's infrastructure and jobs are geared up to...??? holiday makers. The nearest industrial centre is well over an hour away. Its remote as things go in northern England. Its damn well cold in winter. Wet and it snows. If you are unhappy with Derbyshire then you'll maybe find plenty to complain about in Whitby. "Why can';t the borough council do this or that etc" is a common moan in many quarters in this town.

Lots of incomers complain about the lack of jobs and career opportunities for their kids. Oh, and the seagulls! They loved the place when they came. But now they want what they left behind. Some of the Locals are just as bad. Moan about the same stuff. No jobs, no opportunities and no hope. Oh, and the seagulls!

Locals and incomers complain about the lack of jobs and having to travel to work. "Oh, why can't they build a mine here and bring in some decent jobs instead of our minimum wage seasonal work......etc., etc., etc.," (This has and will be a continuing saga as a potash mine is in the planning stages at the moment!)

"Oh and you can't get parked anywhere in summer for all the tourists". (NB all locals do their shopping in town before 12 noon on Saturday - if you can get parked!!)

Whitby isn't just the Abbey. You'll probably only visit it once anyway.
Whitby isn't just Capt. Cook. He only lived here for a couple of years anyway. Only his ships were built in Whitby.
Whitby isn't just Aidensfield and 'Heartbeat'. Anyway most places have a Greengrass and Goathland no longer has a village bobby anyway.
As for dracula? This is just a recent fiction brought about by the opening scene in one of bram stoker's books. Yet people believe in the whole dracula thing in Whitby. People believe he really wandered the streets shaking hands with capt Cook and Greengrass. You'll never visit "The Dracula Experience" Its for the tourists anyway.
The Steam bus is just that. A few years old only. It isn't going to make you happy. The Abbey, Capt Cook etc., can't make you happy.

Beneath all towns but especially towns which have done a good job of fluffing up and selling it's heritage, you;ll find under this veneer, is the real town. Just like the next one. Bad bits and good bits. Happy people and the moaners.

Whitby is not any different.

As an aside, you mention you have a little business idea. Many incomers set up business in this town. The local moaners complain, but they've no skill, knowledge or drive to do the same. Have you actually thought this one through? Will you actually do it? What will stop you?

This looks like I might be putting you off trying to move. But I'm not. I'm trying to get you to realise that moving from one place to another isn't going to make a difference to you unless you know the reasons why you are not happy where you live now. If it is simply a case of better geography/view/beach & Abbey, then you'll have to just do it. It may mean you coming down here, renting a caravan, living in a tent or whatever and getting a job first. Then renting somewhere else , then finding a cheaper house. (They do exist), then moving the family down here and so on.

Good Luck!

BobHoliday

Post by BobHoliday » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 am

Wow!

I think you might be missing an important point Mr Perry.

Whitby IS AWESOME! :P

andyclare

Post by andyclare » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks for that David.
Your in robin hoods bay correct? Lovely place, stayed in cottage there last year on holiday, being so close to whitby you sound like your not that big a fan of the place or the people :cry: .

Understand where you are coming from and totally agree with 99% of everything you said on the subject of moving. I have an amazing wife and 3 amazing young kids, I have a 3 bedroomed semi detatched home with good neighbours each side, I have a drive, carport, garage, front lawn with fish pond,and rear lawn with garden sheds and summer house plus field views to the rear, park for the kids and the school is a 5 min walk away, so my lifes a damm site better than some peoples, but been going to whitby since a kid and a holiday is never enough, count dracular can bollocks and captain cook, well im not bothered how many ships he sailed or where, if you take a likeing to a place then nowhere else has the same appeal and has a special place in your heart. Weather I ever get to live there I dont know but given the choice I would go tomorrow :D
I LOVE WHITBY!!!!!!

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:59 am

On the contrary Andy:- From another posting:-

I was born in Whitby over sixty years ago. It really is home to me.

I pass grown trees that I remember being planted, housing estates that were fields where I went sledging in the snow and where I bought my first house, pubs I spent far too much time in and the landlord is long dead and I now know his grandaughter who runs it. Pubs where antiques and souvenirs decorated the bar room are now empty having been 'revamped'. Shops I gaze in now I remember when they sold something else ten years ago and something else twenty years ago. Buildings I helped build. And buildings you'll never see because they've gone. Houses which my school friends once lived in. But most of all, being able to walk into town and bump into people I've know all my life.

That's what makes Whitby home to me.

I love the place. I was trying to get you to think about the real reasons people and you - move for then find it's all the same elsewhere really.

andyclare

Post by andyclare » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Thanks David for that David.

Sounds like you were lucky enough to know the real Whitby and not the tourist place that it has come today.
Totally agree what you are trying to tell me and I take it all on board.

Each year me and my family go up something has changed, usually a nice little gift shop has closed and in its place yet somewhere else to eat! , another modern out of place looking café, coffee bar, restaurant ??? how many food and drink shops can keep sprouting up in Whitby ? it changes the place each and every year, it strips away bits at a time the real feeling of an old much loved fishing town.

It shouldn't be allowed to happen in my opinion :x , lets banish anymore ''modernisation'' of the beautiful place! :)
I LOVE WHITBY!!!!!!

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Andy
When I was in my teens and twenties, come the end of school holidays, Whitby was dead. No visitors. The only people you saw were locals for the rest of the winter. There were only a couple of ancient and simple cafes and only a couple of restaurants.
Despite all the changes, most of which I welcome because Whitby is a much more cosmopolitan and busy little town, I love it.

It might still be a geographical backwater, but that has it's benefits too!!!

Incidently I've lived in Eire for 10 years and came back here after considering many other places!