What is it about Whitby......

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

fluffynutkins

What is it about Whitby......

Post by fluffynutkins » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:15 pm

Long time lurker here. Time to un-lurk methinks. I was trying to pinpoint what it is about Whitby that makes me return to the place time and again? Plus why does it feel like home every time I visit?It is such an enigma, much more than just,sand sea and surf. Love to hear your views, which I'm sure have been mentioned many times before,but, like Whitby, they are always fun to revisit.There is only one other place(for me at least) where I had a similar "feels like home" vibe and that was Glastonbury(not the festival,the town!) A place I have visited once but never forgotten.

David Perry

Re: What is it about Whitby......

Post by David Perry » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:21 pm

I was born in Whitby over sixty years ago. It really is home to me.

I pass grown trees that I remember being planted, housing estates that were fields where I went sledging in the snow and where I bought my first house, pubs I spent far too much time in and the landlord is long dead and now know the his grandaughter who runs it. Pubs where antiques and souvenirs decorated the bar room are now empty having been 'revamped'. Shops I gaze in now I remember when they sold something else ten years ago and something else twenty years ago. Buildings I helped build. And buildings you'll never see because they've gone. Houses which my school friends once lived in. But most of all, being able to walk into town and bump into people I've know all my life.

That's what makes Whitby home to me. :)

fluffynutkins

Post by fluffynutkins » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Those sound like great memories,thank you for sharing. I was brought up in Scarborough then moved to the city where I've tarried too long. Although I have fond memories of Scarborough and my family still live there it just doesn't feel like home any more. I think the Whitby "fever" is all consuming :D

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:19 am

David Perry wrote:I was born in Whitby over sixty years ago. It really is home to me.

I pass grown trees that I remember being planted, housing estates that were fields where I went sledging in the snow and where I bought my first house, pubs I spent far too much time in and the landlord is long dead and now know the his grandaughter who runs it. Pubs where antiques and souvenirs decorated the bar room are now empty having been 'revamped'. Shops I gaze in now I remember when they sold something else ten years ago and something else twenty years ago. Buildings I helped build. And buildings you'll never see because they've gone. Houses which my school friends once lived in. But most of all, being able to walk into town and bump into people I've know all my life.

That's what makes Whitby home to me.
:)
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have a winner... :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:49 am

I like the synopsis of Whitby on our "About Whitby" page, penned by one of our editors, as seen on this page:

http://www.whitbyonline.co.uk/aboutwhitby.php

"About Whitby
Instead of telling you about Whitby, I'll try tell you what Whitby is all about.

Whitby is about fishing, kippers, jet and sandcastles. It's about amusement arcades and fortune tellers. It's about history and archaeology. It's about fossils and heather and festivals and Dracula and shellfish and ice-cream and buckets and spades and holidays and walks and ghosts and rowing and surfing and sailing and snorkeling and diving and steam trains and caves and waves and piers and boat trips and fish and chips and bridges and rivers and museums and parks.

Whitby really is about so very much."

And off topic a little, while I'm here, have you read the information about the 199 steps, written by the same editor? I think it's hilarious:

http://www.whitbyonline.co.uk/whitby/wh ... 199-steps/

fluffynutkins

Post by fluffynutkins » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:16 pm

Nicely put. It's so many things to so many people. Loved the "Reasons why we "race" up those steps",all too true! Oh, and I think the only true winner can be.....Whitby of course! Back to lurking.....for now.... :)

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:11 pm

It's a good question. I'm not from Whitby and never lived there. But I'm near by. And love the place. The rich history, the churches, the Yards and the views. The sounds and the smells... Well, some of the smells. And the abbey.