New potash mine

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

jakeatyork

New potash mine

Post by jakeatyork » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:54 am

Looks like whitby folk have warmed to the new potash mine becoming a new addition to the area with only 5 objections registered at the public open meetings by sirius ,i hope the development provides a much needed boost to the area which has suffered over the years with the decline in the fishing industry, i wonder if it may rejuvenate whitby as a port and re-attract some of the shipping whitby used to enjoy and further boost the towns industry and re-establish whitby as a working port.

David Perry

Re: New potash mine

Post by David Perry » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm sure they'll be more objections.
It always makes me wonder when folk move here for the unspoilt scenery, national park then can't find a job and then complain there should be more industry and work opportunities.

The company, sirius mining has no expertise, nor money enough for this kind of mine, much of which is untried technology. However, perhaps it'll put their share prices up, the shareholders will simply sell and take their cash and run.

Why wish an other potash mine onto the national park?

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:59 am

I suspect that even if it goes ahead, there'll still be no job anybody will be willing to pay me to do. mid-40s software engineer, also skilled mapmaker/surveyor and qualified electrician and jobbing plumber.

I was even turned down for shelf-stacking at Sainsbury's :(
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 am

jgharston wrote:I suspect that even if it goes ahead, there'll still be no job anybody will be willing to pay me to do. mid-40s software engineer, also skilled mapmaker/surveyor and qualified electrician and jobbing plumber.

Qualified electrician and plumber, and you can't get work? You're doing something wrong.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Sigh the Merciless wrote:
jgharston wrote:I suspect that even if it goes ahead, there'll still be no job anybody will be willing to pay me to do. mid-40s software engineer, also skilled mapmaker/surveyor and qualified electrician and jobbing plumber.
Qualified electrician and plumber, and you can't get work? You're doing something wrong.
Yes, I foolishly allowed myself to be too old to be paid reduced rate minimum wage.
--

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:16 am

An electrician who buggered his back for a long time wanted to plaster his bathroom. He went on one of those few day courses. He did his bathroom and his wife got him another job for a friend. It went on and on, and now he has his own business doing it as and when he feels like it. He did our bathroom for fifty quid where others would have charged upto three hundred. So undercutting yourself only furthers yourself.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Sigh the Merciless wrote:An electrician who buggered his back
Buggering your back is an occupational hazard of being an electrician. I've lost count of the number of times I've had to crawl along under a roof or under a floor, dragging a cable with me and trying to carry tools and not fall on my face at the same time.
A few months ago I needed to add a couple of sockets in my attic. Squeezing through the hatch and crawling around reminded me just how old my knees are now. And then plastering the walls in the alcove where the sloping ceiling is only four feet high - argh!
He did (plastered) his bathroom...
Yes, standing up plastering is a lot easier, where you can swing the float around and get a smooth suface. Try doing that on your knees, leaning forwards, using your thigh muscles to stop yourself falling flat on your face :cry:
--

jakeatyork

Post by jakeatyork » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:41 am

try 25 years of coal face work, on your knees u pussys L.O.L.