Where does Ruswarp start?

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

jgharston

Where does Ruswarp start?

Post by jgharston » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:11 pm

Always a contentious subject anywhere.
Ruswarp Lane runs from Mayfield Road down into Ruswarp, but has houses along the entire length. Where do people feel that you've "left" Whitby and "entered" Ruswarp as you go down the hill?
Pembroke Way is definitely Whitby, The Avenue is definitely Ruswarp, but there's open space between those two.
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

David Perry

Re: Where does Ruswarp start?

Post by David Perry » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:00 pm

I must ask a couple of friends I know who live on Ruswarp Lane whether they think they live in Ruswarp or Whitby.

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:39 am

Ruswarp would be a hamlet of Whitby, I don't doubt. So once over there will have been fields or meadows, maybe a wood that would separate Ruswarp from Whitby. First thing I would do is try looking at old maps. There are some on the web which are free to look at. But they are poor quality so far as the resolution allows. I would look, but am getting set to go to work. Maybe I'll look tonight.
I think Google Earth has an overlay of old maps in the drop-down selections, bottom left. Worth a try.

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:51 pm

Ruswarp a hamlet of Whitby? Not sure about the terminology. We;ve only villages here :wink: The area is set up as a couple of wards, one of which includes Ruswarp and a large bit of Mayfield road - which is further towards Whitby.

Ruswarp has always been separate from Whitby. The earliest pictures (Sutcliffe's) show nothing but fields alongside the Ruswarp lane and this has gradually been built along up from late victorian times right on to the last houses being buildt near 4 lane's end around the 1970's.

But as the OP asked where do the residents feel they live. I've just e-mailed an old school friend to find out.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:25 pm

What triggered this was going through the election registers to come to a calculation of how many residential properties in Whitby are occupied and how many are unoccupied and likely to be holiday cottages.

Anyway, I noticed that Mayfield Roundabout and Holmsted Avenue are in "Ruswarp" polling district and "Ruswarp" parish ward for the Town Council (5.5M, see page 37*). Now, bear in mind that electoral wards are artifical constructions whose primary purpose is to contain the same number of electors per councillor, it still struck me that people living at Holmsted Avenue wouldn't think of themselves as being in Ruswarp. I would definitely think I was in "Mayfield" as a subsection of Whitby, not "Ruswarp", and possibly wonder why I'm trekking down Ruswarp Lane to vote instead of crossing the road to the community centre with my neightbours on Mayfield Road.

But then, how far down Ruswarp Lane do you go before you justifiably feel that you are in Ruswarp and no longer in Mayfield?

*I notice my comments on the errors at Spital Bridge have been incorporated. :)
--

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:59 pm

My mistake. Ruswarp has a church. Hamlets don't have churches. So it could be a village, as a town had more often than not, a market. Not sure If Ruswarp ever had a market. It had a mill and was likely to have been widely used for catching salmon. But where Whitby ends and Ruswarp starts is an intriguing subject. I wonder if it changes from household to household depending on what you want on your mail.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:04 pm

Sigh the Merciless wrote:My mistake. Ruswarp has a church. Hamlets don't have churches. ...
Ruswarp Parish used to be the western half of what is now Whitby Town (just as half of Hawsker Parish was annexed to the town on the east side), the parish boundary ran up Brunswich Street and Cliff Street. You can see the parish boundary stones in the wall next to 15 Brunswick Street, and next to the Little Angel Inn on Flowergate.
So, Runswick had several churches, the Brunswick Street RC church, St. Hilda's up on West Cliff, West Cliff Congregational, etc. :)
And weren't markets held at Flowergate Cross?
--

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:23 pm

I've just spoken to a friend who lives about two hundred yards towards Ruswarp from the round-about. She says she lives in Ruswarp.
Ruswarp does have a regular agricultural market selling farm stock.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 am

David Perry wrote:I've just spoken to a friend who lives about two hundred yards towards Ruswarp from the round-about. She says she lives in Ruswarp.
Putting a ruler on a map that suggests between Resolution Way and Mayfield Nurseries.
My gut feeling is that the slight gap at Mayfield Nurseries is where you're more Ruswarp than Mayfield, especially as that's where the houses on the righthand side end and there's the start of a steep drop there.

In fact, because there's houses all along the left (east) side, you don't realise how much the ground plummets away just behind them. I only realised myself some years ago I went along the footpath from Prospect Hill down to Fitts Steps and along to Ruswarp through the water meadows.
--