Hi folks

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

seasidelover

Hi folks

Post by seasidelover » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm a newbie to this site and wanted to introduce myself.
I lived in Whitby many, many years ago but when we retired we decided to opt for a slightly warmer area of England and now live in Looe in East Cornwall. :D
Although a much smaller seaside town I think we may share many of the same problems eg seagulls and dog poo spring to mind.
Maybe you would like to visit us on looe&polperro free forum to see what we are chatting about :?:

ianwigley

Re: Hi folks

Post by ianwigley » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:49 pm

Well welcome aboard!!!

Please feel free to share your memories and experiences of Whitby...and maybe your tips for food and drink and other stuff in the area.

Ian

Rose

Post by Rose » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:40 am

Hello! Good to meet you! My husband & I are about to move to Whitby for 3 months to see if we like living there. I hope it won't be TOO cold! Hope you're enjoying Cornwall.

Rose x

seasidelover

Post by seasidelover » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:08 pm

We have a big problem with polystryn boxs that our fish and chip shops use. :evil: They clog up the litter bins and usually end up in the river, not good news for our marine life or the ambience of the town. Any ideas on this :?:

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:28 pm

seasidelover wrote:We have a big problem with polystryn boxs that our fish and chip shops use. :evil: They clog up the litter bins and usually end up in the river, not good news for our marine life or the ambience of the town. Any ideas on this :?:
Bigger bins!

Seriously though, they are a pain. Most in Whitby use cardboard. Better in so much as it degrades to nothing. Whatever happened to the good old days of newspaper? Chips always tasted better when newspaper was used instead of the clinical cleanliness of the box and purpose made paper.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:16 pm

Welcome to the forum, nice to meet you :).

Kizzie xxx

seasidelover

Post by seasidelover » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome, I always rember how kind you were when I lived among you.
One abiding memory, it was the spring of '73 or maybe '74. There was thick snow on the moors and a spring tide was due. That night the temperture went up and we had very heavy rain. The inevitable happen. The tide roared in and the melted snow came down from the moor and these two giant forces meet in the harbour. The working boats had seen what would happen and had moored out at sea, where they were safe. The pleasure boats were left tied up and were smashed to pieces by the water. When we went to look the river was covered in planks of wood, floating life belts and plastic petrol cans. It was hard to see anything that resembled a boat left.
I wonder if anyone also remembers that day