Moving to Whitby for Three Months

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Rose

Moving to Whitby for Three Months

Post by Rose » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:37 pm

Hi all!

My husband and I are going to be living in Whitby for a few months, starting in two weeks' time! :) We are both in very dodgy health and don't get out as much as we'd like, so we'll be exploring Whitby very slowly! We've been there on holiday twice and loved it, so would like to see if it might suit us to live there in the longer term (though that probably wouldn't be for a few years yet).

We currently live in Chapel Allerton, which is the arty quarter of Leeds (a lovely place, but sadly no sea for miles! :cry:) Does anyone know of any places in Whitby where arty folk hang out - artists, writers, musicians etc.? One of the things we're going to miss is our local arts centre cafe, where we can enjoy meeting strange folk like ourselves! :D

Another thing that would be useful to find is a cafe or restaurant in Whitby that caters for people on a gluten-free diet. My husband Phil is trying out the gluten-free thing as a possible way to control his ulcerative colitis. The diet's a bit of a pain, but it'll be well worth it if he gets some relief. (Must admit I'm secretly hoping it won't turn out to be the right diet, as it would be nice if we could have some fish and chips! :) )

Anyway, if you can help with either of these things, or have any other useful tips or comments about our stay in Whitby, I'd love to hear from you!

Ta!

Rose x

jgharston

Re: Moving to Whitby for Three Months

Post by jgharston » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Ooo, where did you find somewhere to rent for three months?
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

Rose

Post by Rose » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:12 am

jgharston wrote:Ooo, where did you find somewhere to rent for three months?
Some friends of ours own a house in Whitby, so we've been very lucky in that respect.

Hope you'll find somewhere to live in Whitby soon. I saw you mentioned you were having a problem with landlords saying 'No DSS'. Sometimes if you have a chat with the landlord and get family or friends to vouch for you, they will waive that rule, esp if you have a pretty good employment record and intend to get a job asap.

Good luck!

Rose

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:38 pm

I've been employed (14yrs) or at college (2yrs) for 16 out of the last 20 years. The last two and a half years have almost been the longest unemployment I've ever had (I had a three-month contact last autumn), but the last time I was unemployed this long I was young with few expenses. I'm currently spending about two hours every day going through job adverts. I'm either overqualified, underqualified, overaged or underemployed. For a lot of job vacancies you essentially have to be already employed doing the job being advertised to have any chance. The longer you are unemployed, the more "being unemployed" bars you from employment.

One online job application refused to let me continue because it kept saying "there are gaps in your employment history". :x
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

Michelle

Post by Michelle » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:21 am

I haven't been here long enough to know about things like gluten free cafés or artsy meeting places, but the thing about Whitby is, when you're here, you can just ask. Someone will know something. If there isn't anything like what you're looking for, you can just start it. With the art stuff at least. There are lots of galleries, so there must be artists, and there are definitely musicians meeting. I've seen them meet in different pubs.
So while you're here, just ask people :) I'd say start in the galleries, pubs and maybe even in Bobbins.

I'm fairly sure the Co-op sells gluten free stuff by the way. Otherwise Sainsbury's will when they open.
I know it's not the same as eating out, but at least it's something.

Hope this helps :)

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:29 am

There's a good private 'health food shop' which stocks this kind of stuff at the bottom of Flowergate - it's the last shop down on the left.

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm

Re-Sainsbury's... They are up and running now.
Though for some unforeseen reason, they open at 8am. It's at the industrial end of Whitby, and most folk start work at 8am. Surely they, Sainsbury's should open at 7...? That's the way it is in other such places... Then folk can buy their food and milk for the day ahead.

Watch some smart-sod tell me they should get it the night before. Well that's great in theory But the real world doesn't go quite like that.

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:28 am

Where exactly is the new Sainsbury?

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 pm

petermcgeeney wrote:Where exactly is the new Sainsbury?
The road that leads to Scarborough, the A171. Y'know there are the two bridges, the swing bridge and the one which hopefully will never swing... Well, follow the non-swinging bridge as though going south. Keep on that road all the way up. And just as you come to the edge of Whitby it is on the left. You can't miss it. It is very clearly marked. Hope that helps.

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:56 pm

It's at the edge of town on the road to Scarborough next to HomeBase. You'd have to be blind not to miss it!!!

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:58 pm

David Perry wrote:It's at the edge of town on the road to Scarborough next to HomeBase. You'd have to be blind not to miss it!!!
That means you'd have to be blind to see it. :roll:

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:31 pm

....or coming from the north side, as we will be, three weeks on Saturday - after a week in Northumberland too 8)

Looking forward to it.

Cheers,

Dave

David Perry

Post by David Perry » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:55 pm

NIce one!!!

I didn't notice my double negative.!!
Blind or not you can't miss it. Well you could if you weren't looking left on the way out of town, or you were blind and deaf and not really interested in supermarkets. I suppose you'd also miss it if you never went shopping too. :lol:

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:36 pm

Found it. Just past the cemetary and on the left. Thanks all. :D