Whitby Locals and young people

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Hermione

Whitby Locals and young people

Post by Hermione » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi ! I'm new here :)

I'm currently at university looking at places to spend a year on placement, and Whitby is one of the places I'd be interested in.I use to visit a lot when I was younger, I was wondering though, with Whitby being such a small place does that mean the locals all know each other ?.I'm a bit worried if I move there I will have a hard time making friends with people, I'm not especially shy but if everyone has grown up together it might be hard.Also, are there a lot of twenty somethings in Whitby? or do they tend to move out of the area ? I'd love to spend a year there but I'm just a bit worried about being friendless and there not being anyone around my age !
thankyou for any info/advice
x

jgharston

Re: Whitby Locals and young people

Post by jgharston » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:16 pm

Hi, pull up a chair, have a biscuit.

Whitby's small, but not all that small, the population is about 14,000, it's not possible for everybody to know all that many people. However, you do find that almost everybody seems to be linked to everybody else. You'll be chatting to somebody and mention a third person and they'll say something like: oh, my boss's sister's boyfriend's sister?

Each ten-year age group tends to have approximately 1/10th of the population, and checking the population statistics on the SBC website there are 1468 people in their 20s in Whitby, so that's a large enough cohort to have sufficient variety for multiple subsets of friendship groups. I'm in my 40s, so you can't rely on me to tell you where "the yuuf" hang out ;) I tend to spend my evenings vegging out at home, or occassionally go to the Broad Inn or the Last Out.

What you might find hard is finding (affordable) accommodation. More and more locals are being pushed out of Whitby by high rents competing with holiday cottages. If you're quick there's a one-room studio flat on Linskill Square for £350 a month!!! As a comparison, I let out a 3-bed flat in Sheffield above a shop for £400pm.

Don't be put off, though, Whitby's a lovely place.
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

Hermione

Post by Hermione » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:35 pm

Ahh, thankyou ! that makes me feel a lot better, I'm not from that far away, I'm from Hartlepool orginally, but even there which is a lot bigger place than Whitby everyone tended to know everyone or be "linked" in a way.Does that mean you know the person who owns the old fashion sweet shop ? they are the only place I have ever known to sell Liquorice root and I love it !.I've seen the advertisement for the studio and it was lovely, ideal really but it wouldn't be until September next year ( the year after if my exams don't get well !) anyway.I'm just exploring potential places at the moment, I'm at Northumbria and I don't wanna go too far away from the North, I have been looking at Leeds and York too but I think it would be nice to go to Whitby for a year, I can't imagine I'd get the chance to do it again.I adore the accent too ! :).I worried that with the house prices being so high the twenty somethings might move away for better job opportunities and I would be left in a gorgeus little village, with no one to enjoy it with !

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Take the bull by the horns whist you're still young. If you really are setting your sights on the Whitby area, have you thought about the surrounding villages as well? I wouldn't rule it out if money might be tight. Some of the villages are stunning, and nicely out of the way when Whitby gets a tad bit busy in the hight of summer. Yet still close enough to be in the town with minimal effort.

Hermione

Post by Hermione » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi ! I have been looking at other areas near Whitby, Staithes isn't quite in Whitby is it ? .Obviously price will be something I will have to take into account but I'd only be renting as I'd be staying there for a year and with me being on placement from university that would be covered by my student loan ( and I have saving and a part time job that I'm saving money from), so it's not too much the house prices I am worried about as much as if I would find it easy or hard to make friends, with the place being so small.

Sigh the Merciless

Post by Sigh the Merciless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:26 pm

I am near Staithes and work in Whitby. And come from elsewhere (distant past before the coastal life). And I can tell you, if you're easy to make friends in Hartlepool, you will not find a problem in or around Whitby. People are quite simply people, no matter the location. You will invariably come across difficult people, no matter where. But by and large you will, or should have no problem.

Staithes, or Steers, as the locals say, it is ten-ish miles up the coast from Whitby. You would need a wee motorbike or a car. Personally I might be inclined to look a bit closer.

jgharston

Post by jgharston » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 pm

There's also the problem that I'm stuck in: I want to move back to Whitby, but can't until I get a job as accommdation adverts all say "no DSS", but I can't get a job until I move back to Whitby.
I did a quick bit of scribbling on a bit a paper, and worked out that I could easily survive in a single room 8ft by 8ft! :D That 1-bed on Linskill Square is still too expensive for me in my current circumstances :(
--
JGH - The Whitby Wiki - whitby.wikia.com

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:08 am

jgharston wrote:There's also the problem that I'm stuck in: I want to move back to Whitby, but can't until I get a job as accommdation adverts all say "no DSS", but I can't get a job until I move back to Whitby.
I did a quick bit of scribbling on a bit a paper, and worked out that I could easily survive in a single room 8ft by 8ft! :D That 1-bed on Linskill Square is still too expensive for me in my current circumstances :(
The DSS thing shouldn't be an issue if you do one or all of the following -

1) Be incredibly amicable with the agency/landlord, explain your situation and show him/them you're not likely to turn his/her place into a crack/whore house.
2) Put up some money. Give him the bond (see below) and three months rent.
3) Get a guarantor. I did my teacher training in York and had no money other than my Student Loan Company money, £6000 for the year). The agency just asked for my Dad's income details (sent by his employer [British Steel/Tata]) and asked if he would pay should I default. Surely you have a friend who can do you a favour?
4) Don't mention the DSS, just say you're a freelance journo or something along those lines. If they ask for bank statements tell them to go f.. as it's not a legal requirement.
5) If the place is through an agency and the agency asks for a bond, then give it them to secure the place (if you don't they'll tell you to clear off), then take the agency to court afterwards and retrieve the bond as it's not a legal requirement for the agency to ask for a bond as the landlord is already paying the agency to get his place rented...so the agency is getting paid twice. When I find a link to how this works (I have one somewhere, and it's not illegal to do the court thing) I'll post it.
6) Turn up to any viewing in suit/tie or suit if you're a woman...and explore every single detail. Take the contract home before you sign it, and buy a fine-toothed comb on your way...and use it...if there's any way they can get you, they will.
7) Digicam 100+ pictures of the place and save them on a PC and an external HD, that way when you leave and they want to examine the place they'll see (hopefully) it's in EXACTLY the same shape as it was when you were first there...and therefore won't screw you over...

Ian