Whitby - Your God Honest Opinions

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Is Whitby Goth Friendly on Non WGW?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 am

Oh hell YES girl!
25%
Oh hell YES girl!
25%
Oh hell YES girl!
25%
Oh hell YES girl!
25%
No. No way. GTFO or away!
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 28

Kizzie Kat

Re: Whitby - Your God Honest Opinions

Post by Kizzie Kat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Are you coming up during the Goth Weekend?

Kizzie xxx

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Hi Miss S, good to hear from you again and glad to know things are moving. What can I say, we used to stay at the Waverley House Hotel in Crescent Avenue and found it very friendly and good value. Can recommend it. A few years ago we discovered self catering and have stayed at a few holiday cottages which give a greater degree of freedom in that there are not set mealtimes obviously. Advantage of a hotel is you get local knowledge, advantage of self catering is the ability to manage your time better. The cottage we are going to this summer is Eskape cottage on Church st, not the Abbey end, the other end just past the Middle Earth pub. We have been there on a couple of occasions. The fact that we are returning again means that this too is recommended.
If by any chance you are there again in July, or have moved there, let me know and we would love to join you for a meal or a drink. Meantime I would love to know how you get on. Good luck.x :lol:

JD

Post by JD » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:15 pm

Good to hear your well Miss S and that the plans are moving forward.

I would echo Davina's previous comments in that it might be a good idea to rent for 6 months first to see if you like the town. I personally think you will love it as most people do but everyone is different i guess. Im sure however you will have more of an idea after your April visit. Me and the gf love Whitby and i can envisage a day when i too move there (where only 29 though so a few years before its a reality :lol: ).

Anyway, let us know how the visit goes and good luck with whatever you decide.

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 am

Thanks Davina! That is a really great idea and one we did talk about but budget wise not one we can count as an option, sadly. We averaged up rent for 6 months, costs of moving and since we’re both self employed taking time off of work means it’s unpaid. All in all it’d put a dent in the bank in such a way that we’d delay buying for about 2-3 years while we saved up again. It’s annoying cause it’d be a really good way to go about things. Finger’s crossed for this weekend’s lotto hey! :P

Heya Kizzie! As much as we’d so love that the answer is no, we won’t be there for the WGW. We wanted to see the place in it’s more day-to-day setting, see it how it is when thousands of extras haven’t descended on the town. The important thing for us is to see how it feels when it’s not bustling cause the majority of weeks/ months we’d live there it won’t be like that. So eau natural (for want of a better word) is what we’re going for. Although, I did note that one of the weekends we’re considering coming is when an Alt Goth Weekend’s on so that will be fun to check out!

Peter you are a gem! Thank you so much! I have scribbled down the names, now to go look them up! And yes definitely, if we are back in July then drinks we shall do! Think we’ll need a break and pints by then after the mass redecorating we’re going to start here soon. :lol:

Hi JD! I really hope we do like the place too when we come see it. I mean, we’ve fallen for it already but actually being there we’ll know for sure. :wink: Bless you, good luck to you and your lady too! And yep-yep, I will keep you updated on how it all goes.

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:29 am

It should be still quite busy during the Alt Weekend, though I know a lot of people who are loyal to the Official Weekend and are only going to that. I'm not leaving until 6th April, so if you're around then, hopefully I might see you :). Otherwise, I hope you have a lovely time and I'm so pleased things are going well for you :).

Kizzie xxx

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:13 pm

If it's that busy then maybe I'll be able to do some shopping for myself after all. :twisted:

This isn't our only trip we're planning, there's a mid-week one we're looking at doing too so we get an idea about weekends and weekdays so if you don't see us about this time round, no doubt you will at some other point. :wink:

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 pm

I hope you have a great time :). Let me know if you're coming up around that time :). I go to Whitby three weeks today, I can't wait :)!!

Kizzie xxx

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks Kizzie! When we finalize which dates we're settling on (cause mainly depends when our friend can take time off work and drive us) I'll no doubt do a shout out for a drinks soirée :D

Just wanted to say to petermcgeeney thanks for your input so much! We've had a look at Eskape Cottage and will be calling them soon as we have set dates. Looks like a charming little place! :)

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Its a lovely wee place. We will be back there again this summer. See all those stairs up to it? We nicknamed it Keepfit cottage. :D

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:56 pm

Haha! Great! At least I won't feel guilty then for being on holiday and out of my normal exercise programme! :lol:

Still waiting on dates though *le sigh*. I need to learn to drive. I should learn to drive. I'm 25 this year, for heaven's sake, I'm only going to be worse at trying to learn the older I get! Anyways, I shall not rant but going to keep on with the planning for our trip! :D Updates as and when I get them but soon...so soon...I can almost feel the fresh air on my face! >_> I best close this window then.... :P

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Hope you manage it. Keep me informed. Best of luck. :D X

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:26 pm

It has to be said...*squeee!!* :D

Holiday booked! Whitby here we come! Arriving on the 8th April. So excited! Sadly not the cottage we were hoping for that Peter mentioned but a nice apartment (by the looks of things). I've been told that you can get a long stay parking ticket for the area and I was wondering, does anyone know how much this costs on average?

So looking forward to this trip! :P

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 am

Aww, I hope you have a lovely time, I'll just miss seeing you.

Kizzie xxx

JD

Post by JD » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:57 am

Cant help you out with the parking cost Miss S but i do hope you have a good time when you come up. Im sure you will have a nice stay and hopefully you will really take to the place.

Will be interesting to here what you think of the place. Just booked for a couple of nights at the end of June so i have a little longer to wait until my next visit. Good Luck. :lol:

andyclare

Post by andyclare » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi all,

To sum Whitby up i would say, its a charming little seaside town with lots of intersesting histoy, nice little shops all along church street and the sea front, quite for the older generaration but still not boring for the the newer generation and kids! something for everybody, :D just to walk up to the abbey up the 1999 steps is a thrill for old and new alike, me and my family will never bore of it! :D

i live near Derby,

I wish i could experience Whitby more times than i get the chance too :D :D :D
I LOVE WHITBY!!!!!!