Whitby - Your God Honest Opinions

Got something to say about Whitby that doesn't really fit in the other categories? Then say it in here.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

Is Whitby Goth Friendly on Non WGW?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 am

Oh hell YES girl!
25%
Oh hell YES girl!
25%
Oh hell YES girl!
25%
Oh hell YES girl!
25%
No. No way. GTFO or away!
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 28

Miss_Sakura

Whitby - Your God Honest Opinions

Post by Miss_Sakura » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:37 am

Hi all! I'm new here (to this site) and am looking for your down right, blunt, honest opinions of Whitby. Let me explain...

My fiancé and I currently live in one of the most Chav ridden towns ever. Infact, it's so bad we are stuck basically on what we like to call "The Chav Belt". This is a string of particulary over ridden towns all clumped together. Now, because we are of the alternative persuassion we tend to get a lot of stick for this. Only the other day in our local Co-Op, my other half popped out for milk and tobacco only to have a chavvy couple desend on him with this:-
Female Chav - "D'yaa work 'ere? *chuckling*"
Male Chav - "Daant be silly babes, 'e works inna sex shop innit!"
To which he (my fiance) promptly responded with "Actually, I am an Editor. If you can read you'll know what that is."

So...we are sick of it. Just want to get married, live some place more accepting of who we are and feel comfy to leave our house without the worry of possibly being started on, possibly being ended like Sophie Lancaster (God rest that poor girl's soul) and all cause we like, to simply put it, who we are and our style.

We've done a fair bit of research and apart from being quite possibly the most goth friendly town in the country we love the way Whitby looks, the great stuff we have seen written about the town as a whole and would like opnions now. Can you lovely people help? Please? *smiles sweetly and so much cheeks hurt* :D
Last edited by Miss_Sakura on Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:21 pm

You would love Whitby I'm sure. Its certainly very goth friendly. You probably know it has goth shops and two goth weekends in the year.
I'm not a goth but I would live in Whitby in an instant given the opportunity.
I have read your chav links, you have my sympathy. We have chavs in parts of Scotland too although we call them Neds (stands for Non Educated Delinquent).
Hope you manage to move. I wish you every success. :)

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Thank you Peter for your reply! And yes, I have done a bit of research and the pictures that I have found, the write ups about shops, just about everything about the place leaves us in awe! I think that it is safe to say that we are in love with the place despite not having visited yet, although, we should be doing that in November (all being well) :D

I did hear about that (Scotland's Neds) but had no idea that is what it stood for - that is brilliant! :lol:

Thanks for the sympathy and well wishes. :P It's looking like at least a year till we move but this is the start for us. Finding out, seeing it, getting a feel for the place and taking it from there. This time next year we may not be millionaires but hopefully our lives will be much happier and a lot less tense. :D

Just to nose and get a better idea about how people feel about the place - what makes you say that if you could, you would live in Whitby? What appeals to you about the place and people?

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:42 am

I will be honest with you: until a few years ago, I never saw a chav in Whitby, now there are as many as there are in any other town. I myself have never run into any trouble, but last WGW, a few of my friends said they had verbal off several chavs and one night I saw a goth guy who had been glassed (he had blood running off his forehead) by a local chav and was reporting it to the police.

That said, it obviously caters for goths, especially at WGW. I would live in Whitby if given the chance, but be careful if you live just outside Whitby (especially heading towards Middlesborough) because there are a lot of villages around that are just as chavy as the estates around major cities.

Therefore, I'm not going to vote on your poll as I can't give you a true yes or no answer.

I hope this helps :). If you want anymore information, don't hesitate to ask :).

Kizzie xxx

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:55 am

Hey Kizzie, thanks for replying. I don't think myself or anyone else for that matter will ever be able to find a "chav free" town (seeing as, as you say, Whitby too has received the plague :lol: ) but we're hoping that by living in a smaller, more accepting community it'll be a lot better.

I don't think we'll be looking at the areas you mentioned such as Middlesborough. Not even needing to research it we know many people who've told us about the place and no. Just no. Lol! And after all we are trying to move AWAY from the problems here and not into a different town with the same nightmares. :wink:

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:26 pm

I think it would be a pretty ideal place for you to move to and I would be very jealous if you did :wink: :lol: !! I have a friend who lives in Brotton which is closer to Middlesborough and it's quite rough there.

I hope you manage to sort something out so you guys will be happier :).

Kizzie xxx

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks hun, I hope that we can sort something out too! It's not going to be as soon as we'd like (if we could it'd be tomorrow, knowing what we know now) or easy seeing as apart from moving we have a wedding to plan too. All these ideas floating about that we need to work out the fine details of and all I/ we want to do is wacth movies or play more 'puter games. This growing up thing keeps you busy! :P

We are pretty much set on Whitby now though. Definitely not going Scarborough or Middlesborough way :|

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:13 pm

Good luck to you both :).

Kizzie xxx

petermcgeeney

Post by petermcgeeney » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:13 pm

My wife and I come to Whitby every year, have done for the last 16 or 17 years. We love everything about the place, the atmosphere, the eating places, the history, and yes the Goths. i honestly dont think there is anywhere like it. We will be there again in a couple of weeks. Cant wait. Magpie here we come. I hope you manage your move soon. :)

JD

Post by JD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:42 pm

First of all Miss S, you have my sympathy. Makes me mad reading about people in situations such as you. Was in Whitby at the weekend and there were quite a few flowers on the Sophie Lancaster bench-reminded me of what a tragic event that was.

Ive been to Whitby quite a few times and have been once on the goth weekend, generally i would say its very goth friendly and more 'tolerant' of goths than most places. Agree with Kizzie that there is a bit of a chav element about but nowhere near the amount in some places. Seen plenty of goths out in the pubs who dont seem to be getting hassle. I live in an area a few hours from Whitby which has a large 'chav' presence and the goths round here do get a bit of stick so i can imagine how you feel. Im not a goth myself as i dont see the attraction but i have friends who are and it makes me mad how people abuse them-the only difference i can see is musical taste and clothes!

I think you should go visit whitby for a break so you can figure out the part which will be best for you to live in. Im sure you will love the town-ive never come across anybody who doesnt! Whatever you decide i hope you get some peace.

Miss_Sakura

Post by Miss_Sakura » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks Kizze! Will need all the luck wishing we can get - primarily when it comes to selling this place nice and fast! :D

Aww bless you Peter! It's really nice to hear residents/ visitors thoughts on the place especially when it's so positive! Makes us feel like taking a break there NOW! :lol:

Hey JD! *waves* :P Thanks for your kind words and yes, it really is sad! I mean, I have never walked past anyone, spat at them and said something like "Faaarkin burberry wearn' c*nt!" or anything like that. I don't see the need for it. Maybe it is just the way that I was brought up and I tend to treat people as I'd have them treat me. It gives us hope though hearing that Whitby is at least more tolerant. It would be so nice to go to a pub, relax a bit and enjoy - rather than having a number of comments made either in said pub or in the street - thus leaving us to either taxi-it home or leg it. :evil:

Plans are under way to visit! Maybe even badger you lovely lot into a night out! But not sure yet if it'll either be October for WGW or November. We'll see! :wink:

GINGER

Post by GINGER » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:08 pm

New years eve's fantastic in Whitby,we're not far from Leeds but much prefer the warm feel of Whitby to see in the new year!!!

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:05 pm

GINGER wrote:New years eve's fantastic in Whitby,we're not far from Leeds but much prefer the warm feel of Whitby to see in the new year!!!
I've never been then, but I'd like to :). There's a mini WGW then that I'd love to experience :).

Kizzie xxx

Miss_Sakura

Re: Whitby - Your God Honest Opinions

Post by Miss_Sakura » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 am

Okay, here I am again! Only taken us almost a year to shift our weight but the bloke and I got married, sorted out a lot of house stuff (don't get me started in how much I hate banks) and now *dun dun dun* are planning a trip to Whitby! Oh yes people, this is going to be so good! Excited? Just a bit much! :P

We have more or less (but definitely more) decided that this is where we want to move to so if anyone has any ideas about a good hotel, B&B or self catering accommodation to book with then please, please inbox me. We're looking and seen a few places and need to accommodate three people (the hub-bub, our friend who's driving us there and I) in April. Any ideas will be muchly appreciated. So we're going to come up and see how the place feels, view a few houses hopefully and be taking it from there.

So...what is the lovely Whitby like in April? :D

p.s. I am loving the new forum look. Weldone! x

davina

Re: Whitby - Your God Honest Opinions

Post by davina » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:03 pm

Personally, I've never had any trouble in Whitby, true it's not Hebden Bridge, and there is a fair amount of townie drinking going on during summer weekends. If you're thinking of moving I always think it's a good idea to rent for 6 months first as it really help you get a "locals" feel for the area.

Sounds like it will be a big improvement in terms of quality of life if you can find jobs, or work from home.

Best of luck.

D.