Merry Christmas

Feel the need to talk about something not Whitby related? No problem! Do that in here (except politics!)

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators

DaveGraham

Merry Christmas

Post by DaveGraham » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Hi Folks,

This forum has been very quiet of late, but here's a message to wish everyone who still looks in here a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. May 2012 bring you what you wish.

Looking forward to visiting in March and September :)

Cheers,

Dave

Kizzie Kat

Re: Merry Christmas

Post by Kizzie Kat » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:00 pm

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year :).

Kizzie xxx

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:34 pm

Merry Christmas Dave and Kizzie.

All the best.

Make sure you sink a few beers.

Ian

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:05 pm

ianwigley wrote:Merry Christmas Dave and Kizzie.

All the best.

Ian
Merry Christmas Ian :).

Kizzie xxx

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:24 pm

ianwigley wrote:Merry Christmas Dave and Kizzie.

All the best.

Ian
Indeed, I am part way through a rather nice case of assorted real ales 8)

All the best,

Dave
hic!

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:44 am

"Indeed, I am part way through a rather nice case of assorted real ales"

Stuff of legend, Dave.

When are you next heading back to Whitby?

I'm there on the 7th January (two days after my birthday) for the Town game, should be freezing cold, good, that's how we like it.

Suggest a pub or two I should head to, I've been to most, but I'll go with your recommendation...

Take it easy

Ian

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:16 pm

ianwigley wrote:
"Indeed, I am part way through a rather nice case of assorted real ales"

Stuff of legend, Dave.

When are you next heading back to Whitby?

I'm there on the 7th January (two days after my birthday) for the Town game, should be freezing cold, good, that's how we like it.

Suggest a pub or two I should head to, I've been to most, but I'll go with your recommendation...

Take it easy

Ian
Hi Ian,

We're back there 17th-24th March and then the end of September/beginning Oct. Much, much cheaper accommodation-wise (same place, half the July-Aug price!) and easier to sit down in pubs!!

Last time we were there (last week in September - the heatwave week!!) we went to Middle Earth Tavern (Copper Dragon), Duke of York (Deuchars & Directors), Shambles (Copper Dragon) and Endeavour (several choices, but I can't remember which - it was also a bit *too* quiet so we moved on....always handy though as its about 30 secs walk from where we stay!) We didn't go to the Station or the Black Horse - we looked in on the latter, but didn't spot any tempting ales at the time so went to D o Y. Value-wise, the Middle Earth Tavern came out cheapest. I wouldn't write off First In Last out either. A bit of a walk (and quite uphill from where we are), but it was cosy, good ale, but maybe in need of a bit of a re-furb. If I was just on a short trip, I'd probably do Church St - Duke of York, Shambles, Black Horse and if I wanted to go a bit further I'd include the Middle Earth Tavern and maybe have a look in at the Fleece - they did have a decent real ale there on my last visit but one - might have been Black Sheep.

Further afield, the Hart in Sandsend does great Greene King IPA and the best kept Black Sheep I've tasted. If you make it to the Goathland area I can seriously recommend Beckwatter at the Birch Hall Inn at Beck Hole. What a fantastic little pub, great stottie sandwiches too. Beckwatter has a very dark appearance, but it has a fantastic smooth pale ale taste.
See....
http://www.beckhole.info/thebeer.htm

As an aside, before our week in Whitby in September, we had a week in Alnmouth, Northumberland. Don't think I've tasted a better pint than Jennings Crag Rat in the Hermitage pub in Warkworth - exceptionally good and one I'll certainly look out for elsewhere. During the trip we also tried Farne Islands beer and Mordue "Workie Ticket". The latter (Mordue Brewery, Wallsend) was very nice and I enjoyed a few pints of that in the Sun Inn in Alnmouth.

Have a good trip.
All the best,

Dave
Last edited by DaveGraham on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Couple of photos for you, taken September 2011.....

Middle Earth Tavern...

Duke of York...

Birch Hall Inn, Beckhole....

Cheers!

Dave

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Love the photos, thanks for sharing :).

Kizzie xxx

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Kizzie Kat wrote:Love the photos, thanks for sharing :).

Kizzie xxx
Thanks Kizz, I'll try and put some other Whitby ones together this evening and pop them on the Whitby discussion section, it needs a bit of a boost to get folks chatting here again :)

Cheers,

Dave

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:46 pm

"Hi Ian,

We're back there 17th-24th March and then the end of September/beginning Oct. Much, much cheaper accommodation-wise (same place, half the July-Aug price!) and easier to sit down in pubs!!

Last time we were there (last week in September - the heatwave week!!) we went to Middle Earth Tavern (Copper Dragon), Duke of York (Deuchars & Directors), Shambles (Copper Dragon) and Endeavour (several choices, but I can't remember which - it was also a bit *too* quiet so we moved on....always handy though as its about 30 secs walk from where we stay!) We didn't go to the Station or the Black Horse - we looked in on the latter, but didn't spot any tempting ales at the time so went to D o Y. Value-wise, the Middle Earth Tavern came out cheapest. I wouldn't write off First In Last out either. A bit of a walk (and quite uphill from where we are), but it was cosy, good ale, but maybe in need of a bit of a re-furb. If I was just on a short trip, I'd probably do Church St - Duke of York, Shambles, Black Horse and if I wanted to go a bit further I'd include the Middle Earth Tavern and maybe have a look in at the Fleece - they did have a decent real ale there on my last visit but one - might have been Black Sheep.

Further afield, the Hart in Sandsend does great Greene King IPA and the best kept Black Sheep I've tasted. If you make it to the Goathland area I can seriously recommend Beckwatter at the Birch Hall Inn at Beck Hole. What a fantastic little pub, great stottie sandwiches too. Beckwatter has a very dark appearance, but it has a fantastic smooth pale ale taste.
See....
http://www.beckhole.info/thebeer.htm

As an aside, before our week in Whitby in September, we had a week in Alnmouth, Northumberland. Don't think I've tasted a better pint than Jennings Crag Rat in the Hermitage pub in Warkworth - exceptionally good and one I'll certainly look out for elsewhere. During the trip we also tried Farne Islands beer and Mordue "Workie Ticket". The latter (Mordue Brewery, Wallsend) was very nice and I enjoyed a few pints of that in the Sun Inn in Alnmouth.

Have a good trip.
All the best,

Dave"

Hello Dave,

Thank you for the reply.

I've taken all your suggestions on board.

Duke of York - for me it's a little bit foody.

Shambles - never been in that place. I thought initially it was a bit nightclub like, maybe I'm wrong. You know better than me.

Endeavour - I'll have been in there, but I can't place it.

Black Horse - awesome place. My better half doesn't like it because she likes luxury establishments, me, I'll drink anywhere where there's a decent pint.

Middle Earth Tavern - Went there for the first time a year ago. The locals are so friendly (for me, it's a locals pub).

The Hart, Sandsend - never been there, but it's one to try.

First Inn, Last out - Going to have to try that place out, I've been promising myself for a couple of years now.

Birch Hall Inn - Been there, great boozer, me and Cass sat cramped up in the small room talking to the locals in the bar area. Apparently their sandwiches are awesome.

I like the Board Inn at Whitby. Not great ale, but great views, company. There used to be a bloke who worked there called Andy, looked like a member of Kasabian; he had the lot. Talk, charisma, the lot. I think he works at the pub on the swing bridge now.

I'm not sure if you like your football, but whether you do or not you should head to Turnbull Ground and see a Town game...and experience a fantastic pie and peas...that's my birthday present in January, Whitby vs Chasetown and pie and peas.

Thank you for the reply, the pictures, and your time.

Kind regards

Ian

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:00 pm

Hi Ian,

Yes, I understand re the Duke of York being "foody" - I didn't like it when
we went in summer, but found it a decent pub off-season and a table at the
window was very comfortable. We also arrived after food service had finished (9pm),
but I don't think there was anyone still eating as it was very quiet.

The Shambles gives the impression of a night-club and the music played in
there sometimes can be irritating to say the least (we have moved on once),
but the view from the outside balcony on a mild evening is well worth it -
except you could find you're surrounded by smokers nowadays!

Black Horse - the wife and I like the "settle" bench between front and back
bars if available! I agree it is a great pub when they have decent guest
ales, but it is quite pricey.

The Endeavour is on Church St, same side as Mr Chips, but going towards the
car park and the Fleece (other side of road). The do have folk singing in there sometimes
and the atmosphere can be very good.

WRT the "pub on the swing bridge", the Dolphin, it closed suddenly on 1st
October with all the staff losing their jobs, but has just recently
re-opened under new management, with promises of a refurbishment, so it
could be one to watch. I have never been in that one, I thought it just looked like a lager bar catering
for the masses.

Football - err, not a huge fan. Used to go and watch many years ago. If
the wind is in the right direction, I can hear the cheers from our house
when Liverpool score - but that hasn't happened much of late!!! A Whitby match
could be interesting though - back to good old grass-roots and not a bunch of overpaid
whatsits!

Cheers,

Dave

Kizzie Kat

Post by Kizzie Kat » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:53 pm

DaveGraham wrote:
Kizzie Kat wrote:Love the photos, thanks for sharing :).

Kizzie xxx
Thanks Kizz, I'll try and put some other Whitby ones together this evening and pop them on the Whitby discussion section, it needs a bit of a boost to get folks chatting here again :)

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks for sharing them, they are beautiful :). Yes, we defo need to get people chatting on here again.

Kizzie xxx

DaveGraham

Post by DaveGraham » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:47 pm

Few more pub photos - First In Last Out, Black Horse and Shambles. The First In pic is poor quality as it was dark and I only had my mobile phone on me.

Cheers,

Dave

ianwigley

Post by ianwigley » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello Dave,

I have been in The Endeavour, I remember exactly where it is now.

The Station is always worth a look, always good beer, most of the time good company.

GREAT photographs you posted.

If you can suggest nice places to eat (as well as drink too) I'd appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Ian